[alt.sources] brilliance

rgr@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.g.robillard) (01/24/90)

In article <5142@kappl.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:

>Cancelling a posted article means posting a cancel message.

This sentence ought to win some sort of prize.  If only the word
"article" were replaced with the word "message"...but then it would
be so perfect, it would be  scary.

--
|  Duke Robillard                                                        |
|  Internet: rgr@m10ux.att.com         | BITNET: rgr%m10ux.uucp@psuvax1  |

gary@oak.circa.ufl.edu (01/29/90)

In article <1103@crockpot.East.Sun.COM>, matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) writes...
|   Posting a cancel message should be a function of your news reader.  One
|option in you news reader should permit you to cancel the posting your
|currently reading, if it was posted by you.

  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be a feature of this news reading program.
I am using a VAX VMS system to access USEnet via the local UNIX system, thus
this program is rather simplistic (and bug riddled). Apparently that is a
feature that will have to be added on in the future, unless someone can suggest
where a very complete VMS NEWS program can be found...

|  If you are inquisitive as to what a 'control' message actually looks like,
|browse the 'control' subdirectory of your sites news spool directory.
|(Typically, /usr/spool/news/control)

  I suppose that can be done with a friend who has a UNIX account.

                gary%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu : Internet

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing."  -  Sledgehammer (the TV show)
"We killed it. We killed it! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!!!!"
                                    -  Tremors

Bang the head that doesn't bang!    -  Metallica and alt.rock-n-roll.metal

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (01/30/90)

In article <21982@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, gary@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
> In article <5192@solo8.cs.vu.nl>, maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes...
> |Cancelling a posted message means posting a cancel message.
> Uh, what exactly does posting a cancel message involve?
> A message with the subject CANCEL #xxxxx? Or the same message with the topic
> CANCEL? Or what.

A cancel message is essentially an ordinary message distinguished by
having a header line such as

	Control: cancel <nincompoop@frog.UUCP>

Such messages will be found in the "control" group, even if the Newsgroups:
line reads differently (I was hoping to put such a control line in this
message, but tried it out first and discovered that it doesn't do exactly what
I wanted...).  Other than that, the message has exactly the same format as
a regular news article.  Any text in the body will be ignored, but that tends
to be the fate for many regular messages, too :-).

When a system receives such a control message:  if the referenced article is
present, it is removed, and the cancel message is propagated downstream to
other sites.  If the article is not present, B news sites simply leave a note
in the "history" file to junk the article if seen; C news (I believe) also
forwards the cancel message in any case.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu