[alt.sources] Request for Soundex

lubich@ethz.UUCP (Hannes Lubich) (03/15/90)

Hi,
a while ago somebody posted the C source for the soundex algorithm to
the net (don't remember the newsgroup). Has anybody saved this and could
send me a copy?

I'm also interested in getting other pattern matching algorithms (I already
got Bickel's name comparison algorithm and the Ratcliff/Obershelp pattern
matching).
CHeers
	--HaL
--
~ UUCP/Usenet 	       : {known world}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!lubich
~ or                   : lubich@ethz.uucp

rk@cs.strath.ac.uk (Richard Kingslake) (03/16/90)

In article <3901@ethz.UUCP> lubich@bernina.ethz.UUCP (Hannes Lubich) writes:
>a while ago somebody posted the C source for the soundex algorithm to
>the net (don't remember the newsgroup). Has anybody saved this and could
>send me a copy?
>
>--
>~ UUCP/Usenet 	       : {known world}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!lubich
>~ or                   : lubich@ethz.uucp
>~ CSNET/ARPA/BITNET    : lubich@inf.ethz.ch / lubich%inf.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net

Yes, I have a copy.  Mail me if you would like it.  I tried to reply direct
to you but my mail got bounced at cern "Service not available", so if you
DO reply, please make sure that you give me a reachable address

	Richard Kingslake

JANET:   rk@uk.ac.strath.cs
ARPA:    rk@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:    !seismo!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!rk   or    rk@strath-cs.uucp

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (03/17/90)

Soundex is trivial; you don't need somebody else's implementation.  Go for it.

Look in the X.V11R4 tape, the Andrew contribution (under
contrib/toolkits/andrew, on the fourth X Consortium tape), and check out
the fuzzy-name matching facilities in software in the
andrew/overhead/util/{hdrs,lib} libraries.  You get a Soundex derivative
that works better, at the very least.

		Craig