[net.micro] Magnetic Stripe Readers

C2390N%UMVMA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (09/12/86)

I am soliciting recommendations or experiences with magnetic stripe readers.
The use for these readers would be to read Student and Staff Id cards.
The cards have an ABA compatible stripe.  Once read the code from the stripe
would be used to compare against a database to determine various things about
the card holder mainly, are they still a student or staff member.  The readers
should be serial port or keyboard port attached to a PC (IBM).  Any comments
or suggestions will be appreciated.
Jim Hisle
Computing Services
University of Missouri -- Kansas City

alvarado@fritz.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (09/17/86)

In article <3753@brl-smoke.ARPA> C2390N%UMVMA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
>I am soliciting recommendations or experiences with magnetic stripe readers.
>The use for these readers would be to read Student and Staff Id cards.
>The cards have an ABA compatible stripe.  Once read the code from the stripe
>would be used to compare against a database to determine various things about
>the card holder mainly, are they still a student or staff member.  The readers
>should be serial port or keyboard port attached to a PC (IBM).  Any comments
>or suggestions will be appreciated.
>Jim Hisle
>Computing Services
>University of Missouri -- Kansas City

I am posting this because our vax couldnt send follwup mail to the original
poster.

 I have had experience with a company called MAGTEK here in Carson, California.
They sell Mag Stripe readers capable of reading the ABA on 1 of the 3 tracks on
the card. For a real low cost, they have the raw reader for about $24 and I
have designed an RS232 serial interface board for it that takes maybe $40 in
parts.

Look them up and give them a call, they probably can get you a pretty good
price range and they do work pretty good. These types of readers are manual,
but I believe they have motorized units as well.

Magtek does have their own RS232 compatible unit for about $200 - $400.

Don't quote me on the prices, these are about two years old and
quantity makes a difference also.

My views and opinions do not reflect those of my employer.

   UUCP					U.S. MAIL
   ---					---
   Pat Alvarado				FileNet Corp.
   FileNet Corp.			6167 Bristol Parkway, Ste 420
   Costa Mesa, Calif.			Culver City, Ca. 90230
   ...!ucbvax!trwrb!felix!alvarado

"Aye Captain, how else can I keep my reputation, as a miracle worker."
--

   UUCP					U.S. MAIL
   Pat Alvarado				FileNet Corp.
   FileNet Corp.			6167 Bristol Parkway, Ste 420
   Costa Mesa, Calif.			Culver City, Ca. 90230
   ...!ucbvax!trwrb!felix!alvarado

"Scotty, I need warp speed in 3 minutes or we're all dead."