[net.micro] Looking for multi-tasking PC applications/OS's

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (08/19/86)

I am looking for a program or an operating system for a PC (XT/AT) that
will allow multiple applications to be run concurrently. I'm aware of a few
things available that allow this capabilty, from Xenix for the AT to
Microsoft Windows and similar applications. Anything that will allow
multiple (meaning 2 or more) applications to run on a PC at once is
basically what I need. To be more specific it needs to run an application
that can accept interrupts while it's not the foreground process (e.g. like
running something in the background on Unix, not putting it to sleep). This
application would, for instance, be like communications software that
could listen to the RS-232 port and transfer data - even while it's in
background. I'm not exactly sure of it myself, this information is for
someone I work with. If anyone has any suggestions please send me some
e-mail. I'm interested in any and all multi-tasking types of software,
including all flavours of Unix that will run on a PC/AT or PC/XT, and any
multi application or window type software.... Thanks!

--
                                                              ----
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)                                      /o o/  /

tsmith@milano.UUCP (08/29/86)

In article <76@rdlvax.UUCP>, salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:

> I am looking for a program or an operating system for a PC (XT/AT) that
> will allow multiple applications to be run concurrently. I'm aware of a few
> things available that allow this capabilty, from Xenix for the AT to
> Microsoft Windows and similar applications. Anything that will allow
> multiple (meaning 2 or more) applications to run on a PC at once is
> basically what I need. To be more specific it needs to run an application
> that can accept interrupts while it's not the foreground process (e.g. like
> running something in the background on Unix, not putting it to sleep). This
> application would, for instance, be like communications software that
> could listen to the RS-232 port and transfer data - even while it's in
> background. I'm not exactly sure of it myself, this information is for
> someone I work with. If anyone has any suggestions please send me some
> e-mail. I'm interested in any and all multi-tasking types of software,
> including all flavours of Unix that will run on a PC/AT or PC/XT, and any
> multi application or window type software.... Thanks!
>
> --
>                                                               ----
> * Isaac Salzman (Gumby)                                      /o o/  /
> * Research Development Labs (RDL)                            | v |  |
> * Culver City, California, 90230                            _|   |_/
> * UUCP: ...!{psivax,sdcrdcf,csun}!rdlvax!salzman           / |   |
> * ARPA: rdlvax!salzman@SEISMO.CSS.GOV                      | |   |

I too would be very interested in the results of this
inquiry.......
TJ

--
Thomas J. Smith @ MCC Software Technology
tsmith@mcc.com

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (08/30/86)

In article <2192@milano.UUCP> tsmith@milano.UUCP writes:
> I am looking for a program or an operating system for a PC (XT/AT) that
> will allow multiple applications to be run concurrently.

Well, I can think of 2 packages off hand.  One is Double Doss sold by Soft
Logic Solution, the other is Concurrent PC DOS sold by Digital Research.
I have use both products, and preffer concurrent PC DOS.

Double Dos splits the computer's memory into two pieces, and then lets you
run a program in each by switching registars on the 8088 (8086) every so
many machine cycles.  The drawback of this system is that it only allows one
program to have control of the screen at one time, and it gets very upset
and confused at programs that refuse to wait for it to give them a display.

Concurrent PS Dos is really an implementation of CP/m-86 for the PC with the
ability to run both CP/m and MS-DOS (PC-DOS) software.  Unfortunately, there
are some programs it does not get along with, mostly the memory resident
ones (ie. sidekick).  It does, however, provide the ability to split the
computers memory into 4 pieces if the computer has less then 256k (?) and up
to, I think, 8 if the computer has a full 640.  The system uses windows to
display the output from programs.  With it,you can bring any window in
front, define any window to be as big or little as you want it, and choose
where any window is located on the screen.  You can also change the size of
memory allocated to any window from the command prompt for Concurrent PC DOS.

hope this helps,
--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (09/05/86)

In article <2192@milano.UUCP> tsmith@milano.UUCP writes:
>In article <76@rdlvax.UUCP>, salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:
>>
>> I am looking for a program or an operating system for a PC (XT/AT) that
>> will allow multiple applications to be run concurrently. I'm aware of a few
>> things available that allow this capabilty, from Xenix for the AT to
>> Microsoft Windows and similar applications. Anything that will allow
>> multiple (meaning 2 or more) applications to run on a PC at once is
>> basically what I need. To be more specific it needs to run an application
>> that can accept interrupts while it's not the foreground process (e.g. like
>> running something in the background on Unix, not putting it to sleep). This
>> application would, for instance, be like communications software that
>> could listen to the RS-232 port and transfer data - even while it's in
>> background.

Hmm. Sounds to me like you want to make your IBM PC look like an
Amiga!
--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (09/18/86)

I hope I'm not too late to get in my two cents worth on this subject...
Wendin, Inc ( (509) 235-8088 ) has what they call PC-VMS and PC-UX which
are programs which sit on top of PC-DOS and implement a VMS flavored
or Unix look-a-like environment.
  3 users, up to 10 simultanious jobs( changable), uses PC-DOS executables,
C and Turbo Pascal interfaces, and complete source code in
Microsoft C 3.00.  Price is near $100
  I bought a copy this summer - It works, but some pc-dos progs won't run
under it (Lotus, WordStar...) so it prob. won't hack it as a
'production' OS right now, but as a 'development' system it's OK!

DISCLAIMER:  I don't work for Wendin, and they aren't paying me
	     to say this.  etc   etc   etc