[net.micro] Questions on TRS-80 Model I and Sinclair ZX81

cayz@louie.udel.EDU (James Cayz) (09/13/86)

All,

	Yes, I have more questions, but they are different this time...

	These questions are for a friend (not me, so I don't have the equipment
super handy, so.. ), and PLEASE reply directly to me, I don't read this bboard
as much as I should.

	First - A TRS-80 Model I...  With Expansion Interface, slave disk
drive, monitor, and dot matrix printer (model 779 or 799? - huge hulking
monster for business applications).

	Questions:  How, where and from whom can my friend purchase a master
drive (RS SN 26-1160), and how much would they cost?  If someone out there has
an old one they want to get rid of, this is fine too...  Also, the printer is
a 36pin male, and the card edge it plugs into is 34 pins, so, does anyone have
the pin-outs for this?  ($30 for a cable is a bit much ).  And any other info
on this printer or a manual would be nice.

	ZX81 - with a cassette player..  What, if anything, is currently
available ( outside of garage sales ) for this bugger?  Is this the same
( other than the 1K difference ) as the TI99/4A?  Info on Memory Expansion
Cartridges would be helpful....

	Well, that seems to be about the extent of my questions for today... If
I have sent these to the wrong message group, please let me know which ones to
send to - I don't receive any TI or TRS bboards here.

		Thanx in advance for any / all info on these beasties.

							James

     | E-MAIL: cayz@louie.udel.edu            PHONE: +1 302 451-6718 |
     | USPS: James Cayz, Educational Technology Laboratory,          |
     |       125 Evans Hall, University of Delaware, Newark DE 19716 |

root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) (09/14/86)

> 	First - A TRS-80 Model I...  With Expansion Interface, slave disk
> drive, monitor, and dot matrix printer (model 779 or 799? - huge hulking
> monster for business applications).
779?  You mean that upper case only sucker?

> 	Questions:  How, where and from whom can my friend purchase a master
> drive (RS SN 26-1160), and how much would they cost?  If someone out there has
> an old one they want to get rid of, this is fine too...  Also, the printer is
> a 36pin male, and the card edge it plugs into is 34 pins, so, does anyone have
> the pin-outs for this?  ($30 for a cable is a bit much ).  And any other info
> on this printer or a manual would be nice.

All of the Radio Shack machines (even the old model 1) use regular disk
drives.  You can get any regular 40 track 5 1/4 inch disk drive
(no apple drives,
they aren't standard) and plug it in.  Your drive 1 can also work as
drive 0 (assuming you could live with one drive).  If you add on a drive,
make sure that only the last drive on the chain has the little terminating
reisistor in it (It's the only socketed item on the logic board, if I
recall correctly).  You'll also need a copy of TRSDOS if you don't already
have one.

If you want to use something with the Radio Shack label on it, Color
Computer addon disk drives work in the model 1.

The printer cable is straight through.  They just don't connect pins 18 and
36 to anything.  I personally don't think the price is all that bad.  Try
pricing the connectors and cable sometime.  I think you'll only save $10
or so by making it yourself.  I'd rather pay the bucks and get a nice
machine made one.

--

/Dave Edick/

{hplabs,ihnp4}!qantel!dosadi!root

             "I come in peace, take me to your lizard"

john@monuxa.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (09/21/86)

In article <108@dosadi.UUCP> root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) writes:
>> 	First - A TRS-80 Model I...
>>
>> 	Questions:  How, where and from whom can my friend purchase a master
>> drive (RS SN 26-1160), and how much would they cost?  If someone out there has
>> an old one they want to get rid of, this is fine too...
>
>All of the Radio Shack machines (even the old model 1) use regular disk
>drives.  You can get any regular 40 track 5 1/4 inch disk drive
>(no apple drives,
>they aren't standard) and plug it in.  Your drive 1 can also work as
>drive 0 (assuming you could live with one drive).  If you add on a drive,
>make sure that only the last drive on the chain has the little terminating
>reisistor in it (It's the only socketed item on the logic board, if I
>recall correctly).  You'll also need a copy of TRSDOS if you don't already
>have one.
>
>If you want to use something with the Radio Shack label on it, Color
>Computer addon disk drives work in the model 1.

Just a few more notes:

As stated in the quoted followup, the disk drives used on all of Tandy's
machines are standard 40 track 5.25" drives. The only difference between
the 26-1160 (drive 0 for the Model I) and the 26-1161 (what you probably
have) is the presence of a terminating resistor pack on the 1160. (It is
definately socketed on the later drives- I couldn't findd it on my ancient
26-1160.)

(Does anybody know the purpose of the terminating resistor? I notice that
if I try to use the 1161 without the 1160, the motor spins constantly.)

Some suggestions:

If you want a realy Tandy drive- try looking for a model 26-1164 drive.
This is drive 3 (first outside drive) for the Model III and Model 4 and
should contain the terminating resistor. (It is also a 40 track drive-
early Model I drives were only 35. No imcompatability- just more storage
space if you use a non-Tandy operating system.)

Failing that- try looking for a Drive 0 for the Color Computer. It too, has
the requisite terminating resistor. The problem here is getting it without
the Disk Controller Pak for the Coco. From Tandy, you will probably need to
order it as a repair part. Better, probably is to pick up a copy of a
magazine called RAINBOW (devoted to the Color Computer) and look for a
third party supplier.

Hope this has been some help.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	Actually, I know a lot about what turns a woman off.
	Now, if I could just stop doing it I'd be all set.