[alt.sources] Elvis & MS-DOS

kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) (08/30/90)

Sorry to post this non-source article in a sources newsgroup, but...

There are two MS-DOS specific bugs that people should watch for.  The first
bug is that "Elvis.prj" and "Elvis.lnk" both refer to a bunch of files in
a subdirectory named "termcap".  Oops.  They should refer to tinytcap.c
instead.  In Elvis.prj, delete all lines that start "termcap\" and add a
line that reads "tinytcap".  In Elvis.lnk, delete all of the "termcap\*.obj"
filenames and add "tinytcap.obj".

The other bug is potentially dangerous.  I have been told that MS-DOS can't
rename an open file, safely; if you try it you may damage your filesystem.
Because of this, I recommend that everybody stop using MS-DOS immediately.
If you must use MS-DOS, then be careful when running Elvis, because Elvis
is likely to rename its temporary file when you switch to another text file.

SO DON'T SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT FILE WHILE RUNNING ELVIS UNDER MS-DOS.

The damage, by the way, is that "lost clusters" tend to accumulate on your
disk.  The clusters are marked as being allocated, but there is no file that
contains them.  This condition poses no threat to the data on your disk, but
it does reduce the amount of disk space available.

No patches yet -- I just wanted to get the warning out.
Steve Kirkendall    kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu    uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!kirkenda

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (08/31/90)

In article <8@pdxgate.UUCP> kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:
>Sorry to post this non-source article in a sources newsgroup, but...
	And I'm sorry to reply in a non-source newsgroup, but that's
	where the post was.

>I have been told that MS-DOS can't
>rename an open file, safely; if you try it you may damage your filesystem.

Has anybody encountered this with versions of MSDOS before 4.0?
I had believed this to be a problem of 4.0 and later, but need to be
disabused of this notion if I'm wrong.

Dave