[net.micro] 1 Hand Keyboard help

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (09/08/86)

A few years ago there was a company, in Philly I believe, that marketed a
one handed keyboard for handicapped people.  It was a ball with 5 buttons
on it for each finger and the thumb.  I believe I remember seeing it written
up in Popluar Electronics before they became Computers and Electronics.

I don't have any more information, but I'm trying to find a source for
this keyboard and or similar items to be handheld data entry devices.

Any devices of this or of a similar nature I'm interested in.  Even if there,
isn't a device, but you have some ideas, drop me mail.  It will be
appreciated!

				Mike Yetsko
				Beth Israel Hospital
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

colvin.PA@Xerox.COM (09/15/86)

Mike -

The one handed keyboard that you described is/was called the
Writehander. It came out in the 1977-78 time frame. The company that
produced it has since gone out of business. It was a good idea, it was
just difficult to learn to use and I think that discourged many people
from purchasing one (it was also over priced).

It is a very simple device and it would not be too difficult to build
one yourself. If you're interested I can give you some technical and
construction details.

-- Craig

dpw@rayssd.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) (09/19/86)

> produced it has since gone out of business. It was a good idea, it was
> just difficult to learn to use and I think that discourged many people
> from purchasing one (it was also over priced).

Even when you learn to use the beast it was no fun!  I had one and learn
to use it.(it was all I had)  I don't think it was a lot faster that what
someone could type with one hand.  It was bad..
--
	Darryl Wagoner
	Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4089

best path             {allegra|gatech|mirror|raybed2}  ---------\
next best             {linus|ihnp4|pyrbos} ---------------------->!rayssd!dpw
if all else fails     {brunix|cci632} -------------------------/

waynet@tolerant.UUCP (Wayne Thompson) (09/20/86)

> Mike -
> The one handed keyboard that you described is/was called the
> Writehander. The company that produced it has since gone out of business.
If I remember correctly it was a hemishere with 3 buttons for the thumb
and one each for the rest of fingers. You actually entered ascii directly
with the eight buttons. Inside all that was required was debounce circuits.
--
Which is worse ignorance or apathy? Who knows, who cares.

Wayne Thompson
..{bene,mordor,nsc,oliveb,pyramid,ucbvax}!tolerant!waynet

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to discern who is
responsible for these opinions, the poster or the company he works for.
Good luck!!

dale@wucs.UUCP (Dale Frye) (09/25/86)

In article <405@tolerant.UUCP>, waynet@tolerant.UUCP (Wayne Thompson) writes:
> > Mike -
> > The one handed keyboard that you described is/was called the
> > Writehander. The company that produced it has since gone out of business.
> If I remember correctly it was a hemishere with 3 buttons for the thumb
> and one each for the rest of fingers. You actually entered ascii directly
> with the eight buttons. Inside all that was required was debounce circuits.
Actually it had 6 buttons for the thumb, three rows of two. I've got one
if anybody's buying. I haven't really used it. It uses the right hand and
I'm left-handed.

Dale Frye @ Washington University in St. Louis