[net.micro] MS-DOS Cluster sizes - HELP

liber@darth.UUCP (Eric Liber) (09/23/86)

This is a quick request for help under Ms-dos on a z100 (version 2.1x)
I need to know if it is possible to change the default fat length from
12 bits to 16bits.  Under 3.1 this happens automatically if you have
more than 4086 clusters but it doesn't seem to work the same way under
v2.1.  I need this because I inherited a 32mb drive and I sure hate to
use 16 sector clusters (minimum file size of 8k!!! yuk). I think this
may have been posted before but I missed it.

Thanks for any help
eric the red (some times known as the red baron)

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (09/25/86)

> This is a quick request for help under Ms-dos on a z100 (version 2.1x)
> I need to know if it is possible to change the default fat length from
> 12 bits to 16bits.  Under 3.1 this happens automatically if you have
> more than 4086 clusters but it doesn't seem to work the same way under
> v2.1.  I need this because I inherited a 32mb drive and I sure hate to
> use 16 sector clusters (minimum file size of 8k!!! yuk). I think this
> may have been posted before but I missed it.

NOPE! The 16 bit fats were introduced with DOS 3.+

Mike Mitchell @lanl.arpa
myxm@lanl.arpa

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/25/86)

In article <154@darth.UUCP> liber@darth.UUCP (Eric Liber) writes:
>This is a quick request for help under Ms-dos on a z100 (version 2.1x)
>I need to know if it is possible to change the default fat length from
>12 bits to 16bits.  Under 3.1 this happens automatically if you have
>more than 4086 clusters but it doesn't seem to work the same way under
>v2.1.  I need this because I inherited a 32mb drive and I sure hate to
>use 16 sector clusters (minimum file size of 8k!!! yuk). I think this
>may have been posted before but I missed it.

At the outset I would say no.

One would have to go into the code for for COMMAND.COM, FDISK.COM,
FORMAT.COM.  At least those three and change the code so that it could
understand both 12 bit and 16 bit FATs.  A project that is easier done
by purchasing MS-DOS 3.1+.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \