[net.micro] 8088 phase out / PC OT ??

jhk@csun.UUCP (Joe Kwan) (09/18/86)

	In the September 9th issue of PC Week, there were a couple
of articles regarding the new IBM XT 286 computer.  One article was
about the new XT 286 and the other was an editorial entitled "Does
New IBM Micro Spell Doom for 8088 PCs?".  The editorial stated that
286 based machines are no longer 'advanced technology', but instead
'regular technology' and that 8088 PCs are 'obsolescent technology'.

	It appears that IBM is slowly starting the phase out of 8088
PCs and at sometime the 80286 PCs will be the dominant PC as software
will be out that will only run on machines with at least a 286 in
them.  So, how long before the 8088s are really obsolete (when will
IBM stop making 8088 based PCs?)?  Is it worth buying 8088 PCs now
(the XT 286 of course costs more) or should people kick in more bucks
for a 286 based PC, thereby ensuring themselves the ability to run
future software.  Also, does anyone know if the XT 286 can be
boosted to run at 8MHz's (the normal speeds of the new ATs)?  These
are some of the questions that people around here are wondering
about (myself included).  I think it's save to assume that the 80386
is still too new (IBM doesn't have a 386 PC out yet) and too costly
(at least for a Compaq Deskpro 386 {for the price that they want,
you could almost go out and buy a Sun}) at this time to consider.

Joe Kwan
--
Joe Kwan, Cal State Univ, Northridge Comp Sci Department (818) 885-2163
uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!cs1!jhk

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (09/25/86)

In article <364@csun.UUCP> jhk@csun.UUCP (Joe Kwan) writes:
>.....  So, how long before the 8088s are really obsolete (when will
>IBM stop making 8088 based PCs?)? ....

  Bad news,  folks, but the 8088 has really  been  obsolete  for several
years  now.  Just like the 6502 and the 8080 ...  :-) :-) :-)  (Sorry, I
just couldn't resist!)

#   UUCP : ...!ubc-vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#