[net.micro] PCNetwork does it again

Elefante@RADC-MULTICS.arpa (09/23/86)

     Awhile back I reported that PCNetwork (Chicago) managed to send
me a disk drive and charge it to my charge card without my
authorization.  Mistake?  A coworker received a bill on HIS
chargecard 18 months after having made his first and last order from
PCNetwork.  They charged him $8 for a new membership six months after
it had lapsed.
     These things have been financially resolved, but not without all
the letterwriting and non-responses that comes with dealing with a
company that treats customers without much respect and certainly
doesn't admit its own mistakes.  Anyway, that's what can happen when
a company keeps your charge card number in its data base after an
order has been filled.

Don Elefante

kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) (09/23/86)

I got hit with the automatic (unasked for!) membership renewal from PC  Network
about   six   months  after  my  membership  expired,  too.   Surprised?   Yes.
Irritated? Hell, yes.  And I've gotten no  reply  from  my  first  letter.   Of
course this is unethical, but does anyone know if this is illegal??

Keith

magik@chinet.UUCP (Ben Liberman) (09/26/86)

In article <4049@brl-smoke.ARPA> kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) writes:
>I got hit with the automatic (unasked for!) membership renewal from PC  Network
>about   six   months  after  my  membership  expired,  too.

>...unethical, but does anyone know if this is illegal??

They sent me a postcard saying "if you don't return this card marked NO, we
will renew your membership and charge it on your charge card.  I called them
(I live in Chicago) and told them that it was illegal (a violation of
contract law called "implied consent") and they said "gee, if was illegal then
we wouldn't be doing it".   If they put it on your charge card, tell the card
company to take it off (they will usually do it with a phone call, they will
definitely do it will a letter) of your bill and not to try puting it back on
until they can provide proof of your authorization.

Note to net.legal:  not being a lawyer, please correct me if I've totally blown
		    this one.

Note to everyone else:  If you want a REAL legal opinion on this (and not just
 (and disclaimer)	my ignorant opinion) talk to a REAL lawyer.