[net.micro] XT controller for two hard disks.

mob@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Mario O. Bourgoin) (09/18/86)

I  need to control  two 10 Megabyte  hard disks  from  one  XT. The XT
already controls one 10M hard disk  using the original IBM controller.
I want to add one from an XT that is unused. I have  looked  at the XT
reference manual and the hardware and I can't see a way of controlling
an extra disk using  it.  I also  can't   see  a  way  of  having  two
controller cards in the XT without contention between them.

Can someone suggest either a way of controlling an extra disk with the
present controller  or  adding in a   second controller or  getting  a
different controller? Or anything else?

--Mario O. Bourgoin

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (09/21/86)

> I  need to control  two 10 Megabyte  hard disks  from  one  XT. The XT
> already controls one 10M hard disk  using the original IBM controller.

The IBM controllers that I have seen were made by XEBEC. These controllers
have the capability of running two hard disks. You can tell if your controller
will do this by looking at the place where the cables connect to it. You
should see three rows of staking pins. One should be 34 connecters and the
other two should be 20. If your controller is set up like this then all you
will need are the cables to hook up the drives. The 20 position cables have
nothing special to them. They run straight through. The 34 position cable has
a twist in it going to drive D (similar to the way the floppy cable has a
twist in it going to Drive A). The positions involved in the twist are:

 34               26|16  18  20  22  24|14          2          CABLE POSITION D
 34               26|  17  19  21  23  |14           1
                    |                  |
                    |                  |
                    \                  \
                      \                  \
                           1/2 twist
                      /                  /
                    /                  /
 34               26|24  22  20  18  16|           2
 34               26   23  21  19  17               1         CABLE POSITION C

Hope this helps.

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.arpa

raymund@sci.UUCP (Raymund Galvin) (09/22/86)

In article <7739@lanl.ARPA>, myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> > I  need to control  two 10 Megabyte  hard disks  from  one  XT. The XT
> > already controls one 10M hard disk  using the original IBM controller.
>
> The IBM controllers that I have seen were made by XEBEC. These controllers
> have the capability of running two hard disks. You can tell if your controller
> will do this by looking at the place where the cables connect to it. You
> should see three rows of staking pins. One should be 34 connecters and the
> other two should be 20. If your controller is set up like this then all you
> will need are the cables to hook up the drives. The 20 position cables have
> nothing special to them. They run straight through. The 34 position cable has
> a twist in it going to drive D (similar to the way the floppy cable has a
> twist in it going to Drive A). .........
> Hope this helps.
>
> Mike Mitchell
> myxm@lanl.arpa
I hooked two 10M drives to the XEBEC  controller in an ITT XTRA.  The cable
twisting was avoided by setting the second hard disk to respond as drive 1 -
not drive 0.   I believe the twist in the cable is used so both drives can
be configured as drive 0.

Ray Galvin

wjr@rayssd.UUCP (Bill) (09/28/86)

> I  need to control  two 10 Megabyte  hard disks  from  one  XT. The XT
> already controls one 10M hard disk  using the original IBM controller.
> I want to add one from an XT that is unused. I have  looked  at the XT
> reference manual and the hardware and I can't see a way of controlling
> an extra disk using  it.  I also  can't   see  a  way  of  having  two
> controller cards in the XT without contention between them.
>
> Can someone suggest either a way of controlling an extra disk with the
> present controller  or  adding in a   second controller or  getting  a
> different controller? Or anything else?
>
> --Mario O. Bourgoin

I haven't done this my self, but I know IDEA is able to do this with
their external hard disks.

Would you please post when you find out though??

Thanks and Good Luck,

Bill