[alt.sources] Elvis 1.4, part 1 if 8

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/05/90)

In article <2196@tuvie.UUCP> hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>Yes, we have the same problems. All the <ESC>s have been
>stripped from the .doc files.
>
>Kirk, if you repost the .doc files, please choose a format that
>is more robust against malicious mailers. Uuencoded compressed
>tar-files maybe?

Better yet, leave the @*&#$ escape codes out of the doc files in the
first place!!  Post raw *roff source if you want users to have fancy
manpages -- otherwise give us straight text, not @*#$&@(#$& uuencoded
compressed tar files in a SOURCE newsgroup!!

--
I might have gone to West Point, but I was too   /  /\   Tom Neff
proud to speak to a Congressman. -- Will Rogers /__/  \  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

kssingvo@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Singvogel) (12/05/90)

kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:

>Here comes version 1.4 of Elvis, my vi clone.
[..]

Every *.doc-file, I've extracted, reported, that it is damaged; e.g.
doc/ex.doc is 19002 (real length) and not 19254 bytes (checksum length) long.

Are the checksums bad or the files? Has anybody the same problems?

Thanks,
	Klaus.
--
Name  : Klaus Singvogel
E-Mail: kssingvo@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (12/06/90)

kssingvo@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Singvogel) writes:

>Every *.doc-file, I've extracted, reported, that it is damaged; e.g.
>doc/ex.doc is 19002 (real length) and not 19254 bytes (checksum length) long.

>Are the checksums bad or the files? Has anybody the same problems?

Yes, we have the same problems. All the <ESC>s have been
stripped from the .doc files.

Kirk, if you repost the .doc files, please choose a format that
is more robust against malicious mailers. Uuencoded compressed
tar-files maybe?
--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (12/06/90)

kssingvo@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Singvogel) writes:

>Every *.doc-file, I've extracted, reported, that it is damaged; e.g.
>doc/ex.doc is 19002 (real length) and not 19254 bytes (checksum length) long.

>Are the checksums bad or the files? Has anybody the same problems?

The doc files contained Epson control sequences to switch font once in
a while. Those are exactly the characters stripped by the mailer.

Fixing the files is not evident, since commands like:

	sed 's#E\(.*\)F#\1#' doc_file

will also match proper text.

I think the best thing to do is to repost the documentation.

	Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)