[net.micro] dir /w

harris@ecsvax.UUCP (Mark Harris) (09/14/86)

I find that after I run certain programs the '/w' parameter for 'dir'
is no longer recognized by DOS 3.0.  No other damage that I can find.
Has anyone else run into this?  Know how to fix the problem?

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (09/16/86)

In article <2029@ecsvax.UUCP>, harris@ecsvax.UUCP (Mark Harris) writes:
> I find that after I run certain programs the '/w' parameter for 'dir'
> is no longer recognized by DOS 3.0.  No other damage that I can find.
> Has anyone else run into this?  Know how to fix the problem?

   Yes, I know how to fix the problem.  Get ird of that abomination, MSDOS,
   and get a *REAL* computer.

   While you're at it, kindly post PC related queries to the net.micro.pc
   newsgroup, where they damned well belong!

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

darmon@polaris.UUCP (09/18/86)

In article <2029@ecsvax.UUCP> harris@ecsvax.UUCP (Mark Harris) writes:
>I find that after I run certain programs the '/w' parameter for 'dir'
>is no longer recognized by DOS 3.0.  No other damage that I can find.
>Has anyone else run into this?  Know how to fix the problem?

This is a known bug. Somehow DOS does not detect that command.com has been
overwritten and does not reload it. That's because it only checks for a few
bytes and they are not the one affected.

--

Pierre Darmon, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
.....seismo!philabs!polaris!darmon.

kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) (09/24/86)

Does that mean that if I have a question about Kermit on the Mac, I should post
it  to  info-kermit?   Or  info-mac?  How  about a querry on the Atari 1040ST -
should it go to info-atari16 or info-68k?  Uh, oh -  a  problem  with  my  Unix
termcap  for  the  Zenith  19:  should  it  go  to  info-unix, unix-wizards, or
heath-people??   Printer  problems   on   your   Z-100,   anyone?    Refer   to
info-printers, heath-people (again), info-hz100, and info-ibmpc!

Get  the  picture?  Look, guys.  New folks on the net don't mean to step on any
holy toes, so don't pass out sermons with such  righteous  indignation.   Maybe
someone  just doesn't understand net protocol - so be big about it and take the
time to explain it.  Besides, when confronted with too  many  options  -  as  I
tried  to  point out above - there's always info-micro.  After all, and I quote
from  the   List   of   Lists   maintained   at   the   SRI-NIC,   "INFO-MICRO:
Information/discussion list on the general interest topic of microcomputers".

Flame off, please.

Keith

chiu@princeton.UUCP (Kenneth Chiu) (09/27/86)

In article <4086@brl-smoke.ARPA> kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) writes:
>Does that mean that if I have a question about Kermit on the Mac, I should post
>it  to  info-kermit?   Or  info-mac?. . .

Yes, because the people reading these newsgroups are specifically interested in
the subject and know more about it.

>. . .Get the picture? Look, guys. New folks on the net don't mean to step on
>any holy toes, so don't pass out sermons with such righteous indignation. Maybe
>someone just doesn't understand net protocol - so be big about it and take the
>time to explain it. . .

I am a new user, so I can understand how a casual or new user might post to
net.micro instead of a more specific newsgroup.  It doesn't take an experienced
user to realize, however, that he should probably post to net.micro.pc instead
of net.micro if his question is about IBM PCs.

If such postings are truly merely because of ignorance, then they should be
forgiven.  Often these postings are cross-posted to net.micro.pc, however, so
apparently the author must have known net.micro is for >general< discussions,
not machine-specific ones.  My impression is that many of these postings are
from people who just want to make sure they reach as many people as possible,
which is understandable, but not considerate; or from people who really don't
care what kind of trash they generate for other people, which is not
understandable, and certainly not considerate.

>. . .After all, and I quote from the List of Lists maintained at the SRI-NIC,
>"INFO-MICRO: Information/discussion list on the general interest topic of
>microcomputers". . .                            ----------------

>Flame off, please.

No flames here, just annoyance.
--
Kenneth Chiu                                              UUCP: princeton!chiu
Princeton University Computer Science Department        BITNET: 6031801@PUCC

netnews@sigi.UUCP (Network News) (10/04/86)

In article <915@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>In article <2029@ecsvax.UUCP>, harris@ecsvax.UUCP (Mark Harris) writes:
>> I find that after I run certain programs the '/w' parameter for 'dir'
>> is no longer recognized by DOS 3.0.  No other damage that I can find.
>> Has anyone else run into this?  Know how to fix the problem?
>
>   Yes, I know how to fix the problem.  Get ird of that abomination, MSDOS,
>   and get a *REAL* computer.
>
>   While you're at it, kindly post PC related queries to the net.micro.pc
>   newsgroup, where they damned well belong!
>
>--
>
>Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!
>
>tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"

Are you claiming that the pc is NOT a micro-computer?  I don't think this
kind of attack is very helpful to anyone.  Maybe you need your own personal
newsgroup where only articles of interest to you would be posted.
Jeff Jennings
University of Colorado, Boulder

{ ut-sally | ihnp4 } !nbires!boulder!jennings