[alt.sources] Zip + 4 data

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (02/07/91)

Does anyone know where I can obtain (via ftp or whatever) Zip + 4
codes and city, state and address data?

Thanks!

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology            We are not suspicious enough
University of Colorado, Boulder      of words, and calamity strikes.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (02/07/91)

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can obtain (via ftp or whatever) Zip + 4
>codes and city, state and address data?

>Thanks!

Zip + 4 data from the post office takes up something like 30 2400 foot
1600bpi tapes, or something in excess of 1.3G of data.  I don't know of
any archive site for it, and given the size I doubt there is one.

The post office is perfectly willing to sell the data, it costs something
like $1500/year, with either monthly or quarterly updates.  (With logic
only the Post Office could use, the cost is the same whether you get the
monthly or the quarterly updates.)  If you are interested, call the
customer service rep at your local post office.  They will refer you
to their addressing systems group in Memphis.  (There is a toll-free
number for that office, but I don't have it handy.  Sorry.)

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

ahm@rick.att.com (Andy Meyer) (02/07/91)

In article <nolan.665900287@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
> >Does anyone know where I can obtain (via ftp or whatever) Zip + 4
> >codes and city, state and address data?
>
> The post office is perfectly willing to sell the data, it costs something
> like $1500/year, with either monthly or quarterly updates.  (With logic
> only the Post Office could use, the cost is the same whether you get the
> monthly or the quarterly updates.)

Or, you could just wait for Lotus to put it out on CD-ROM! :-) :-)

Andy

     ==--
   -====---    Andreas Meyer, N2FYE                       ahm@rick.att.com
   --==----    AT&T Computer System Technical Services     ..!att!rick!ahm