[net.micro] More intel misinformation

blarson@usc-oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) (10/16/86)

In article <144@intelca.UUCP> clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) writes:
>I think your questions is "what computers use the 8086 architecture other
>than MS-DOS machines?"  The answer is quite a few.
>
>In addition their are scores if not hundreds of companies that use 80x86 that
>don't make PC clones.   Prime, [...] However, I don't know if they choose the
>80x86 prior to the availability of the 68000.

[I'm only reponding re prime because that is the one I know about.]
[Note that Prime headed his list of other 8086 users.  I wonder if the
other manufacutures are even more misrepresented.

Prime does make an ms-dos Ibm Pc clone.  (They came out with it fairly
recently.) My personal opinion is this will be droped in a year or so
when they realize this is to little, to expencive, and to late.

Other prime products using intel 80*86 family chips:

Producer 100.  Dedicated word processor.  As far as I know, they
didn't get the software working right.  [File editing did work, the
problem was the claims of evental compatibility with prime software
other than OAS.] The product flopped, and I think Prime eventually
gave it up.

Pt200 terminal.  I thought we were talking about computers, not terminals.

I think prime was planning on using an 80286 in their eithernet board.
Again, I though we were talking about computers, not peripherals.
[I do know of prime peripherals that use z80's and z8000's.]

Clif, please give me the product name of the COMPUTER that prime sells
that uses an intel chip as the main cpu and does not run MS-DOS as the
primary operating system.  [The Producer 100 doesn't qualify, it
wasn't user programable.]

[Prime makes some very nice systems, but not in the under $10,000 market.]

>Clif Purkiser, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
>{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!clif
>
>I guess I better put back the old disclaimer line.  These views
>are my own property.  However anyone who wants them can have them.

I don't want them.  Please take them back.
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Eclb.Arpa	or	blarson@usc-oberon.arpa