[alt.sources] Jargon File Version is 2.7.1

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (03/03/91)

Due to a screwup in my posting script, the version info was not included
in the Subject lines nor in the cover letter.  Sorry about that...
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/05/91)

Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?  (Please
check first to see if I still need it, not sure it would do my machine
any good to receive 100 copies all at once.)

Thanks much...

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) (03/06/91)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?  If so, could it be reposted?
Repost please - it didn't make it here either!

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colm Buckley                        | "My program doesn't work."       |
| Computer Science,                   | "You forgot the semicolon."      |
| Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland  | "But..."                         |
|                                     | "Line 376. Check."               |
| cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie               | "But..."                         |
| CBUCKLEY@vax1.tcd.ie                | "Trust me."                      |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

hulsebos@ehviea.ine.philips.nl (rob hulsebos) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?
Seems so. It didn't arrive here either.

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (03/07/91)

In <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> Paul Smee wrote:
> Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
> problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
> soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?

I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
>soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?  (Please
>check first to see if I still need it, not sure it would do my machine
>any good to receive 100 copies all at once.)

Haven't found a copy yet.  Have had several pieces of mail from other
UK sites asking me whether, if I get a copy, I'd pass it on, because
they didn't get it either.  I note a similar complaint from a Spanish
site.  Did anybody in Europe get part 06 of Jargon 2.7.1?  Could it be
reposted?

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

What is this discussion doing in alt.sources?

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
> Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

I'm glad he finally started sending it to newsgroups I *do* carry. I've
been wondering why the file hasn't been showing up recently. Alt.sources
is a fine place for it.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com
+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you debugged your wolf today?"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>

#ifdef USG
#define MAILBOX "/usr/mail/%s"
#else
#define MAILBOX "/usr/spool/mail/%s"
#endif

#define STRLEN 255
char line[STRLEN];

getline(fp, line)
FILE *fp;
char *line;
{
	fgets(line, STRLEN, fp);
	line[strlen(line)-1] = 0;
}

main(ac, av)
int ac;
char **av;
{
	FILE *fp = 0;

	while(--ac)
		if(fp = fopen(*++av, "r")) {
			fsplit(fp);
			fclose(fp);
		} else {
			perror(*av);
			exit(1);
		}
	if(!fp) {
		char buffer[255];
		char *p, *getenv(), *getlogin();

		if(!(p = getenv("MAIL"))) {
			if(!(p = getenv("LOGNAME"))) {
				if(!(p = getlogin())) {
					fprintf(stderr,
					    "/etc/passwd: No login name.\n");
					exit(1);
				}
				sprintf(buffer, MAILBOX, p);
			}
		} else
			sprintf(buffer, "%s", p);
		if(!(fp = fopen(buffer, "r"))) {
			perror(buffer);
			exit(1);
		}
		fsplit(fp);
		fclose(fp);
	}
}

fsplit(fp)
FILE *fp;
{
	char outname[16];
	int outfile=0;
	FILE *outfp = 0;

	while(1) {
		getline(fp, line);
		if(feof(fp)) break;
		if(!strncmp(line, "From ", 5)) {
			if(outfp) fclose(outfp);
			sprintf(outname, "%d", ++outfile);
			if(!(outfp = fopen(outname, "w"))) {
				perror(outname);
				exit(1);
			}
		}
		if(outfp) fprintf(outfp, "%s\n", line);
	}
	if(outfp) fclose(outfp);
}

daveg@misty.sara.fl.us (Dave Goodman) (03/09/91)

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org>  jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
> In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> >
> >I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
>
> Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Amen, brother!  Jargon is an interesting and useful piece, but I really
can't say much in favor of the constant barrage of slightly updated
versions, posted to multiple groups.

--

Dave Goodman   .   .   .   .   .    __|__    .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
daveg@misty.sara.fl.us .   . --o--o--(_)--o--o-- .   ....uunet!misty!daveg

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) (03/09/91)

<19090@rpp386.cactus.org> by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
& In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
& >I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
&

A whole file or just diffs?

& Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
& a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
& same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Is hitting your "k" key so hard?  Would you please limit your postings to
newsgroups that I don't carry?

& --
& John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
& Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
& "I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
&                 -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.

--
# On the 'Net:  Why are more and more fourth-level wizard(-wannabe)s trying
# to invoke ninth-level magic instead of taking the time to climb the other

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (03/09/91)

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>>In <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> Paul Smee wrote:
>>> Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>>> problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
>>> soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?

>>I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.

>Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
>a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
>same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Amen, brother.

Even better, can you just leave it somewhere for it to be ftp'ed?

My hard disk crashes every time it comes by :-(((

scott

--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott

john@attcan.UUCP (John Benfield) (03/13/91)

In article <3427@unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
> <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
>
> & Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> & a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> & same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?
>
> Is hitting your "k" key so hard?  Would you please limit your postings to
> newsgroups that I don't carry?

Since when does hitting 'k' stop megabytes of data from flowing
into your system through your modem from your USENET distribution
site? Must be a new option I haven't heard about yet. :) [and just
to be a further pain-in-the-ass, not everybody uses the same
news reader software. "Hitting your 'k' key" may very well be
fatal in some news readers or it may automatically send a core
dump to greywolf@unisoft.UUCP {well...maybe not now, but I can
email you a patch to make it happen}]

Defender of the yutzes who don't have enough sense
to appreciate the Jargon file. =8)

______Opinions stated are my own. Transcripts available by request______
      ===
    =--====  AT&T Canada Inc.             John Benfield
   =----==== 3650 Victoria Park Ave.      Network Support Analyst (MIS)
   =----==== Suite 800
   ==--===== Willowdale, Ontario          attmail   : ~jbenfield
    =======  M2H-3P7			  email     : uunet!attcan!john
      ===    (416) 756-5221               Compu$erve: 72137,722

____Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines._____

root@attron.ruhr.sub.org (System Administration) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar6.170548.22656@gdr.bath.ac.uk>, exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
> In article <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
> >Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
> >problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
>
> they didn't get it either.  I note a similar complaint from a Spanish
> site.  Did anybody in Europe get part 06 of Jargon 2.7.1?  Could it be
> reposted?

No, I did not receive it, but I hope it will be posted soon...

Chris
--
Snail: Christian Schlichtherle, Elbscheweg 20, 5802 Wetter 4, Germany
Email: chris@attron.ruhr.sub.org	Tel.: +49 2335 7550