[alt.sources] Oberon Image Warning

erv@everest.TANDEM.COM (E. Videki) (03/26/91)

It looks like once again the gremlins have eaten
the Oberon compiler/tools/doc package and the
images (uuencode) here on alt.sources don't look
like the ones I sent. (Notice, for example, that
there is no "begin" on file 1.)

Any volunteers out there want to help me get the
files correctly onto the newsgroup?  Apparently
I can't, even after multiple attempts.

--E. Videki

hughM@sixhub.UUCP (Hugh M Moore) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar25.165207.11393@tandem.com> erv@everest.TANDEM.COM (E. Videki) writes:

:Any volunteers out there want to help me get the
:files correctly onto the newsgroup?  Apparently
:I can't, even after multiple attempts.

  This group is for *source* pinhead, not for messy-dos binaries. There
is a group for this stuff, you are obviously not competent to post, and
we wish you would go away.

  No one can help you get the files correctly to this group because it
isn't the right group! Get a life.

To all the net.censors: I can't mail this guy, he will post more garbage
if we don't stop him, don't waste time flaming me for not posting
source.

10 PRINT "Get stuffed!"
20 STOP
30 END
--
Hugh Moore ...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!hughM [ PhD in '93 ]

       AIDS means guys with vasectomies have to wear condoms too

mcramer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Mert Cramer) (03/27/91)

From article <3511@sixhub.UUCP>, by hughM@sixhub.UUCP (Hugh M Moore):

>   This group is for *source* pinhead, not for messy-dos binaries. There
> is a group for this stuff, you are obviously not competent to post, and
> we wish you would go away.
>
>   No one can help you get the files correctly to this group because it
> isn't the right group! Get a life.
>
> To all the net.censors: I can't mail this guy, he will post more garbage
> if we don't stop him, don't waste time flaming me for not posting
> source.
>
> 10 PRINT "Get stuffed!"
> 20 STOP
> 30 END
> --
> Hugh Moore ...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!hughM [ PhD in '93 ]

Hugh Moore's posting is an example of the sort uncalled for rudeness that
gives the net a bad smell. If he does not like the posting, don't read it.
As a matter of fact if he had taken the trouble to unpack the oberon files,
he would of found that in addition the the oberon compiler it contains a
number of source code files (an example plus the librarys).

Just because you are not face to face with someone you are not free from the
usual modes of civil and polite behaviour.

A more reasonable complaint with the oberon posting is that it needed an
introduction so people would have a sense of what was within. But that happens
all the time in this and other news groups.

One thing is sure I will ignore any posting by Hugh Moore in the future.

Mert Cramer

CPAYNE@ESOC.BITNET (03/28/91)

Just so that Hugh Moore does not think that Mert Cramer was wrong in his
posting, I'm posting this message to say that I agree completely with
what Mert had to say. I'm sure many others do to. Sorry for WOB, but mail to
Hugh bounces.
                         Chris Payne

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (03/28/91)

In article <3511@sixhub.UUCP> hughM@sixhub.UUCP (Hugh M Moore) writes:

Other included message deleted

>  This group is for *source* pinhead, not for messy-dos binaries. There
>is a group for this stuff, you are obviously not competent to post, and
>we wish you would go away.
>
>  No one can help you get the files correctly to this group because it
>isn't the right group! Get a life.
>
>To all the net.censors: I can't mail this guy, he will post more garbage
>if we don't stop him, don't waste time flaming me for not posting
>source.
>
>10 PRINT "Get stuffed!"
>20 STOP
>30 END
>--
I thought first to ignore your arrogant, self-righteous, condescending reply.
I know I have little hope of influencing someone such as yourself and would
only wate the time of everyone else.  However, I have thought it over and
cannot let it lie.

May I point out to you that the files in question DO include Oberon source.
They also happen to include a MS-DOS compiler for same.

There is only one pinhead involved in this message thread and I think it is
obvious who that is.

>       AIDS means guys with vasectomies have to wear condoms too

Is this supposed to be funny?

Yours, perhaps in Ignorance, but hopefully never in Stupidity,

Bruce Barr

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (03/30/91)

Actually, folks, the newsgroup hierarchy comp.binaries.* was created
specifically for this purpose.  Many sites do not have the disk
space to carry binary postings; the hierarchy was created to
alleviate this problem.  You might notice the current discussion
in news.* concerning GIF postings in non-binary newsgroups.
This discussion has the same roots as that in news.*.

The original poster erred in posting the image files to this
newsgroup.  Hopefully, future postings of the Oberon system
will be placed in comp.binaries.*, where they belong.

This is by no means an impugnment of the posted system; I
kept it, and it seems to be very nice indeed.

If your argument for posting binaries here is "my site doesn't
get the binaries groups", you'd best speak with your sysadmin.

Wes

--
 morgan@ms.uky.edu    |Wes Morgan, not speaking for|     ....!ukma!ukecc!morgan
 morgan@engr.uky.edu  |the University of Kentucky's|   morgan%engr.uky.edu@UKCC

alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) (04/01/91)

Hugh Moore's posting also makes me wonder what is going on with higher
education if this is the way future phd's behave.

Sounds to me like he is a spoiled child.

Alan Barrow

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar27.143247.20873@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, mcramer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Mert Cramer) writes:

> Just because you are not face to face with someone you are not free from the
> usual modes of civil and polite behaviour.

Amen!
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison