[net.micro] XT TURBO information

wjr@rayssd.UUCP (Bill) (10/13/86)

While I'm running amuck at the keyboard...

I just posted a boot-up problem with a hard disk unit. Just some added
information, a friend of mine bought a turbo from another place and has the
same basic problem. Of course the boards could come from the same manufacturer..

Anybody else out there running XT turbos and have encountered different
problems?? Similar problems...what were the results???

Does anybody have any information about using the gameport. Is it cheaper to
buy a joystick or build one? Can one be converted from an old atari set??

Bill Ramey

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP@ndmce.uucp (Marcus the Ranum) (10/18/86)

In article <240@rayssd.UUCP>, wjr@rayssd.UUCP (Bill) writes:
> Anybody else out there running XT turbos and have encountered different
> problems?? Similar problems...what were the results???
	One problem I encountered with my turbo system was memory parity
errors. It turned out there were really crappy Slooowww  RAM on the board
(barely fast enough for the brainded system it was cloned from )   :-)
A good investment is in a bunch of NEC 150ns RAM, if you can grab 'em.
If you have obtained the computer in person, a good approach is to browbeat
the seller into letting you swap chips at will. Setting a NEC V20 in helps,
but don't do like one guy I know who was running an 8mhz system and put
one of the slow V20s in... Norton Utility sysinfo says mine has 3.2 times
the compute power of an IBM XT. Not shabby for 700$...
--

describe plum-blossoms ?
I've swept all day, and now... oh no!