[net.micro] IBM PC Terminal Emulator - Procomm 2.4 available

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.arpa (Keith Petersen) (10/07/86)

>Procomm version 2.4 is just out.  I recommend it highly.  It has
>significant improvements over 2.3, which was very good itself.  One
>point of correction -- they INSIST on a $25 donation (not that you
>couldn't just download it and not pay; but they don't just "ask").

>Procomm has sliding window kermit implemented.  This does a lot to
>overcome the problems with the small packetsize -- but does any other
>Kermit implementation support that yet?

Procomm 2.4 is now available via FTP from SIMTEL20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.MODEM-UTIL>
PROCOM24.ARC.1			BINARY	134528  4F96H
PRODOC24.ARC.1			BINARY	121856  13C2H

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 (300, 1200, 2400 bps)

root@killer.UUCP (Admin) (10/14/86)

     Just a brief note. The Authors of Procomm have notified their registered
users that there were a couple of bugs in 2.4 and they have since released
2.4.1 for the newest release. The package is excellent and they are setting
up a board just for their registered owners who will be notified.

                                           Charlie Boykin
                                        ...ihnp4!killer!root

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/21/86)

In article <300@killer.UUCP> root@killer.UUCP (Admin) writes:

>     Just a brief note. The Authors of Procomm have notified their registered
>users that there were a couple of bugs in 2.4 and they have since released
>2.4.1 for the newest release. The package is excellent and they are setting
>up a board just for their registered owners who will be notified.

Well, I just called Datastorm's BBS the other night. The latest (as of
10/17) release of ProComm is 2.4.2. Attached is the file PRCM242.NEW which
describes all the changes:

(NOTE: Televideo fans- the Control-^ fix mentioned below seems to resolve
all those problems we've been having trying to use ProComm tvi900
emulations with 'vi'.)

=============================== PRCM242.NEW =================================

                ProComm (tm) Version 2.4.2 Description
                           October 17, 1986
         Copyright (C) 1985, 1986 Datastorm Technologies, Inc.
                     Bruce Barkelew and Tom Smith

                          BBS: (314) 449-9401

    This document describes the changes, additions, and bug fixes
    to ProComm version 2.4.2.

    -   Problems with CompuServe B protocol downloads have been fixed.

    -   Televideo Ctrl-^ home sequence processing has been fixed

    -   Fixed ALT-H hangup problem when Host mode connection type set
        to direct.

    -   2.4 Manual Addendum: The manual lists a CMD command for ASCII
        downloads, GETFILE ASCII "filename".  This is in error.  That
        command does not exist.  Only ASCII uploads can be performed
        using the command language.

    -   NOTE: 2.4 will automatically create a new PROCOMM.PRM file
        if it finds a 2.3 or earlier .PRM file.

                ProComm (tm) Version 2.4.1 Description
                            October 7, 1986
         Copyright (C) 1985, 1986 Datastorm Technologies, Inc.
                     Bruce Barkelew and Tom Smith

                          BBS: (314) 449-9401

    This document describes the changes, additions, and bug fixes
    to ProComm version 2.4.1.

    -   A bug in the ANSI/BBS emulation's processing of nulls and
        the cursor left sequence has been fixed.

    -   In TERMINAL SETUP, the break length option wasn't getting
        saved, and items 10 and 11 were transposed on the screen
        after updating.  This has been fixed.

    -   Problems with CompuServe B protocol uploads have been fixed.

    -   Added command language support for outgoing backspace key.
        New command structure: SET BACKSPACE IN DEST/NONDEST for
        incoming backspace.  SET BACKSPACE OUT BACKSPACE/DELETE for
        outgoing backspace keystroke.

    -   NOTE: The only change in the manual between v2.4 and v2.4.1
        is in the description of the above command language change.
        Otherwise, the manual hasn't changed.

                 ProComm (tm) Version 2.4 Description
                          September 22, 1986
         Copyright (C) 1985, 1986 Datastorm Technologies, Inc.
                     Bruce Barkelew and Tom Smith

                          BBS: (314) 449-9401

    This document describes the changes, additions, and bug fixes
    to ProComm version 2.4.

    -   All new high level command language.  Use CMDCNVT.EXE to convert
        old scripts to the new format.  (Consult the documentation for
        a complete description of the new command language.)

    -   CompuServe B protocol now supported

    -   Windowed XMODEM (WXMODEM) now supported

    -   COM3 and COM4 are now supported

    -   Fixed manual dial/linked cmd file problem

    -   Added Tab handling to Redisplay buffer

    -   Changed ANSWERBACK to ENQ, added CompuServe B

    -   ENQ now works in ANSI terminal emulation

    -   Added modem cmd suffix, defaults to CR

    -   Added default download directory

    -   Added BS key definition (BS or DEL)

    -   Added Kermit handshake setup

    -   Added multiple kb macro files

    -   MODEM INIT string no longer has default CR- you must
        include it in string.

    -   AUTO-ANSWER string no longer has default CR- you must
        include it in string.

    -   ALT-Y sends auto answer string

    -   ALT-C will now clear the screen to your default colors

    -   Increased file transfer timeouts in host mode

    -   Improved XMODEM family EOT handling and error recovery

    -   /D command line switch for dual monitors (no auto detect).
        Use this switch if you have a mono card and color card
        in the same machine.

    -   VT100 and VT52 now support all print functions.

    -   VT100 now supports programable tab stops

    -   Fixed VT100 bug with ESC [ 2 l and ESC [ ? 2 l

    -   Fixed VT100 bug when keypad appl. mode keys echoed back.

    -   VT52 line graphics mode fixed (worked in 2.2 but not in 2.3)

    -   Fixed bug when INS is pressed in col 80.

    -   Fixed XOFF/XON flow control problem in ASCII uploads.

    -   Keyboard macros can now be used in chat mode.

    -   F)iles and S)hell in host only work for COM1 & COM2 due to
        lack of DOS support for COM3 and COM4.

    -   Added host autobaud detect to host mode.  2 methods.
        Method 1 uses the messages sent by the modem i.e. CONNECT 1200.
        Method 2 uses incoming character checking.  Remote caller must
        press CR or space bar a few times for host to detect baud rate.

    -   Added user setable BREAK length

    -   VT100 and VT52 keyboard layout switched to physical mapping.
        The unshifted function keys are like the 2 left rows of the
        VT100 keypad, and the shifted function keys are like the 2
        right rows of the VT100 keypad.  (Consult the documentation
        for exact mapping.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	This isn't a coronation- this is bad comedy.
						-Galvatron