[net.micro] file transmission, BOO, UUDECODE

JESUP@ge-crd.arpa (JESUP RANDELL) (10/24/86)

Date: 24-OCT-1986 14:50
From: randell jesup
Sender: JESUP
Subject: file transmission, BOO, UUDECODE
To: info-micro@brl-vgr@smtp
--------
Frank da Cruz <sy.fdc@cu20b.columbia.edu> talks about a new encoding format
to solve the problems with uudecode, boo, etc.

What about a two-level format?  A simple, checksummed characters to binary
program (ala boo and uudecode), and a second level ala ARC, with produces
excellent compression, error-checking, and bundling of files.  The second-
level program can be encoded easily in the first, thus requiring only the
ability to type the first short program in to retrieve the complex second
level program.  For cases where the second level is not needed, it doesn't
have to be used.  This combines the best of both ARC and uudecode/boo.
In fact, I'd recommend ARC or a variant for the second level.  ARC already
runs on msdos, unix, amiga and others I believe.
   Randell Jesup		jesup@steinmetz.uucp
				jesup@ge-crd.arpa (preferred)
				userb9zv%rpitsmts.bitnet

--------