[comp.std.misc] TIFF specifications

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (05/11/88)

Could someone pass me a pointer or a handle to information about
the TIFF `standard'?  I am using ImageStudio and a TruVel TZ-3
scanner, which agree on what eight-bit uncompressed TIFF should
look like but not much else.  Which is fine, but I also need to
interpret the data further and while I can locate a few key fields
the remainder seem to vary without good reason.

Please respond by mail to one of the addresses below.

Thanks

John
--
John J. Chew, III
poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (05/14/88)

In article <386@trigraph.UUCP> john@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (John Chew) writes:
>Could someone pass me a pointer or a handle to information about
>the TIFF `standard'?  I am using ImageStudio and a TruVel TZ-3
>scanner, which agree on what eight-bit uncompressed TIFF should
>look like but not much else.  Which is fine, but I also need to
>interpret the data further and while I can locate a few key fields
>the remainder seem to vary without good reason.
>
>Please respond by mail to one of the addresses below.
>
>Thanks
>
>John
>--
>John J. Chew, III
>poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet
>poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
>poslfit@utgpu.UUCP

I decided to post this since it seems that it would be good general info.
Basically, if you are interested in TIFF, I would recommend looking at:

Meadow, Anthony, Rocky Offner, and Michael Budiansky.  "Handling Image Files
  with TIFF."  Dr._Dobb's_Journal_of_Software_Tools_for_the_Professional_
  Programmer.  May 1988: 26-45.

This article presents a brief overview of TIFF and then talks about a
toolbox for the Macintosh that manipulates TIFF files.  It also gives addresses
for obtaining this toolbox for the Macintosh and MS-DOS, as well as the file
specification (currently version 4).  You might also see the article:

Andrews, Nancy and Fry, Stan.  "TIFF: An emerging standard for exchanging
  digitized graphics images."  Microsoft_Systems_Journal.  July, 1987:  71-76.

The addresses follow:

TIFF Library Package for the Macintosh:
send your name and address to
Bear River Associates Inc.
Attn: TIFF
P.O. Box 1900
Berkely, CA  94701
or call 415-644-9400 (9-5 PST) and ask for the TIFF Library Package

a similar package for the IBM PC and compatibles:
write to
DEST Corp.
Attn: Debra Levesque
1201 Cadillac Ct.
Milpitas, CA  95035
or call 408-946-7100 and ask for Ms. Levesque

To receive a copy of the latest version of the TIFF standard, to request a
proprietary tag, or to comment on the standard, write to:
Manny Vellon
Windows Marketing Group
Microsoft Corporation
16011 N.E. 36th Way