[comp.std.misc] ASN.1

jeffr@sco.COM (Jeff Radick) (08/21/88)

In article <25924@think.UUCP> barmar@kulla.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <145@chiron.UUCP> jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) writes:
>>  If anyone can tell how
>>to obtain information on ANS.1, I'd be greatful.  I seem to have missed
>>it in my search.
>
>I believe ANS.1 is described in X.409, "Message Handling Systems:
>Presentation Transfer Syntax and Notation".  However, it never
>actually seems to use the phrase "Abstract Syntax Notation", nor the
>abbreviation ANS.1.

ASN.1, "Abstract Syntax Notation One", is defined in the
following documents:

	ISO version		CCITT version
	-----------		-------------
	IS 8824			Recommendation X.208
	IS 8825			X.209

Someone also asked about obtaining international standards
documents.  Someone mentioned that you can get them from
Omnicom, which I guess reprints them but also gives seminars
on the stuff and also has people that work on the committees.
One of their people, Hal Folts, has this 3-volume book out
that is available in technical bookstores that contains
reprints of a whole bunch of these standards.

In addition, you can also go through the official channels
and get them from the ANSI folks.  I forget their address
but you can call them up at (212) 642-4900 and ask them
about ordering the stuff.  I have gotten ANSI, ISO, and
CCITT stuff from them (though not recently, about 2 years
ago).  There is also some address in Geneva where you can
send your orders for the CCITT stuff directly to the CCITT
itself, but I don't know how that works in terms of sending
money and worrying about exchange rates and such.  I don't
have the address handy but the order forms and stuff you
can get from ANSI by calling the number above will have the
address on it.

Jeff Radick
jeffr@sco.COM or uunet!sco!jeffr
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

jeffr@sco.COM (Jeff Radick) (08/21/88)

In article <1093@scolex> I, jeffr (Jeff Radick) wrote a bunch
of stuff about where to get international standards but
neglected to point out that the CCITT versions may not be
available yet.  I don't know, I haven't seen them (the ASN.1
standards) myself.