[comp.std.misc] Structured Graphics Standard

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (09/15/88)

In article <5152@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>Gives me a chance to plug my idea for a S.G. standard again!  If there
>were a standardized format for these things, we would only need one
>postscript translator...

Anyone remember NAPLPS?  Text, device-independent graphics (bit and/or object)
with variable precision (for more detail, use more bits), macros of anything,
and standard characters for all Romance languages.

NAPLPS is great for input/output with an intelligent graphics device, but
not for storing data.  For example, NAPLPS doesn't provide for labelled
objects in the data (it can put a text label on a screen, but a CAD program
can't look in the data for object "WIDGET1").  NAPLPS is also not 3D.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco