[comp.std.misc] Standardized print-output

agj@cosmo.UUCP (Andreas Juraschek / a-g-j DV-Dienst) (08/09/90)

I'm doing currently in a large UNIX-Projekt a research for a
so called standardized print interface. The customer wants:
- that from all programs features of teh printout will be set
  by a unique meta-Syntax
- the meta-Syntax must be defined in such a way, that it may be
  entered via a ASCII(ISO 8859)-Editor
- the tranosing to physics should be done at printing time, because
  only then you are sure, which kind of printer is used
- if possible, all kinds of printers must be supported

We made already a related request to the X-OPEN-Comitee.

If graphics will be include I suggest CGM as the only ISO/ANSI-Standard
so far (even if nobody seems to use it).

Is there anywhere a similar research or dvelopment ? I hope, somebody
will reply me !!

vancleef@garg.nas.nasa.gov (Robert E. Van Cleef) (08/10/90)

In article <5867@balu.UUCP> agj@cosmo.UUCP (Andreas Juraschek / a-g-j DV-Dienst) writes:
>I'm doing currently in a large UNIX-Projekt a research for a
>so called standardized print interface. The customer wants:
We have standardized on PostScript printers for all of our
b/w systems, and this has worked very well for all applications,
ranging from falt ASCII text, to roff/TeX layouts, to FrameMaker
and some 2D graphics packages.

Currently we have not determined a standard for support of color
printers and are requiring the software packages to generate either
the native printer input or a local format that we have a couple of
filters for... neither of which is a good, long term solution.

>Is there anywhere a similar research or dvelopment ? I hope, somebody
>will reply me !!

Hope this helps.
Bob
--