[comp.protocols.iso] COMPLIANCE TESTING OF OSI

aleph@csilvax.ucsb.edu (Thom McVittie) (06/27/88)

  Does anyone out there know where I can get my hands on a copy of "CONFORMANCE
TESTING" by ISO ?  (I think the catalogue is ISO/SC 21/WG 16-1/N410 -- but not
really sure).

  Anyways, I'm working on developing back to back test beds for the DATA LINK,
NETWORK and TRANSPORT layers and have heard that this book would be an
excellent resource, but apparently the UC library system can't find it.

  Also, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experiences with
testing these protocols, or can point me to additional references.

Thanks for your help!

Thom

mcvittie%faulty@hub.ucsb.edu
aleph%csilvax@hub.ucsb.edu

ichan@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Isaac Chan) (06/29/88)

In article <32943@aero.ARPA> aleph@csilvax.ucsb.edu (Thom McVittie) writes:

>Does anyone out there know where I can get my hands on a copy of "CONFORMANCE
>TESTING" by ISO ?  (I think the catalogue is ISO/SC 21/WG 16-1/N410 -- but not
>really sure).

There are a couple of ISO [draft] standards that you may want to look at

1. ISO DP 9646 - "OSI Conformance Testing Methodology and Framework"

   This is a 4 part document being developed by ISO SC21 WG1, and is
   probably what you're referring to.  The parts are
     1. General Concepts.
     2. Abstract Test Suite Specification.
     3. Test Realization.
     4. Requirements on Test Laboratories and Clients for the
	Conformance Assessment Process.

   Parts 1&2 are under ballot to become draft proposals, and are also
   being published in the 1988 CCITT Blue Books as X.290.  Parts 3&4 are
   currently being completed so that they can go out for ballot.

2. ISO DP 8882 - "X.25 DTE Conformance Testing"

   This is an X.25 test suite -- data link and packet layers -- being
   worked on in ISO SC6.  The tests are written in the Tree and Tabular
   Combined Notation (TTCN), the specification of which is in Part 2 of
   DP 9646.

3. There is also work going on in SC6 on transport layer conformance
   testing.  I don't believe that any test suites are available yet though.

The documents are in various states of completeness and stability.  You
should be able to obtain the latest versions from OMNICOM (Vienna, VA).

Another source of information are the proceedings of the annual IFIPS
Symposium on Protocol Specification, Verification, and Testing, the 8th
of which was held earlier this month in Atlantic City.  The proceedings
are later published by North-Holland (Library of Congress Catalog #
TK5105.5.I3426 198*, where *={1..8}).

Hope this helps,

Brian Smith
brian@idacom.cs.ubc.ca