[net.news.group] net.barter and the IRS

kalm@ihuxw.UUCP (James ) (03/31/84)

From ihnp4!fortune!mbr Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
From: mbr@fortune.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.news.group
Subject: Re: New group: net.barter? - (nf)
Date: Mon, 26-Mar-84 19:07:33 CST
Sender: notes@fortune.UUCP

#R:idi:-16300:fortune:7700006:000:332
fortune!mbr    Mar 26 16:51:00 1984

>The IRS recently decided that bartered goods and services are taxable, and
>they are going after members of barter societies.  This might make the net
>a target for IRS scrutiny.  Just something to think about.

I suppose it won't be long and you will have to apply for a tax
number in order to have a garage sale or a book swap.
I suggest selling your goods and services for a penny. Let the IRS take
you to court to prove that they are worth more than that.

--
Jim Kalmadge -  AT&T Bell Labs IX 1c415
8-367-0475