[comp.protocols.iso] ISO on LANs?

adam@etive.ed.ac.uk (A Hamilton) (08/18/88)

In article <359@scs.Carleton.CA> phil@scs.Carleton.CA (Phil Trubey) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience, or heard anything about implementing
>ISO protocols on LANs?  At first blush, the protocols would seem to
>be quite complicated for high speed networks - even worse than
>TCP/IP :-).  (Oh no, what have you done now?  Mentioned ISO and TCP/IP
>in the same posting?  And I left my asbestos suit at work!).

	At EUCS we have implemented X25(1984) over LLC2 over Ethernet
for a number of Unix machines.  This is the protocol set of choice of
the UK academic network advisory group (JNT).  They chose this stack
because it will make inter-networking easier (because there are NO long-haul
IP networks over here ONLY X25).  There are implementations on several
other systems (e.g. VMS and CMS) and other products like Ethernet pads
and gateways. So far there don't seem to be any problems.  I would say
that X25 and TCP are about equally complicated.
	I can give you more details if you ask specific questions.

		Adam Hamilton

mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4103000~Marc Mengel~C25~G25~6184~) (08/23/88)

	AT&T's STARLAN release 3.0 is using ISO protocols.  The  ISO
	Level 4 protocol over IEEE802.3.  (I don't have the ISnnnn number
	of the protocols handy, they have adopted the IEEE802 family
	of protocols as an implementation of layers 1..3, I believe).

	It is actually faster than the protocol previously used
	(our own, called URP -- Universal Receiver Protocol) but that
	may just be a better implementation, rather than any major
	improvement in the protocols themselves.

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (08/23/88)

In article <2017@cuuxb.ATT.COM> mmengel@cuuxb.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>	AT&T's STARLAN release 3.0 is using ISO protocols.  The  ISO
>	Level 4 protocol over IEEE802.3.  (I don't have the ISnnnn number
>	of the protocols handy, they have adopted the IEEE802 family
>	of protocols as an implementation of layers 1..3, I believe).

IEEE 802.3 = ISO 8802.3

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!