[comp.protocols.iso] another of the most commonly asked question .. Obtaining ISO Documents

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (02/03/89)

Gee, I wonder what _I_ want to know today!

Yes, that's right, I also want to know how to obtain ISO documents.

One of the major problems with ISO is that their documentation is not
readily accessible as far as I know to email people.  Is ISO public domain?
Is there a server for ISO documents?  Does any Internet site have them online?

I certainly can't afford any of them, but want to read all of them.

brad allen <ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu>
[no affiliation with UCSC]

p.s.
is there anyone willing to periodically post reference info for this forum
(like spaf does for news.*)?

jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (02/04/89)

In article <6217@saturn.ucsc.edu> ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:
>Gee, I wonder what _I_ want to know today!
>
>Yes, that's right, I also want to know how to obtain ISO documents.
>
>One of the major problems with ISO is that their documentation is not
>readily accessible as far as I know to email people.  Is ISO public domain?
>Is there a server for ISO documents?  Does any Internet site have them online?
>
>I certainly can't afford any of them, but want to read all of them.
>
>brad allen <ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu>
>[no affiliation with UCSC]
>
>p.s.
>is there anyone willing to periodically post reference info for this forum
>(like spaf does for news.*)?

Sorry, most ISO documents, at least those at a useful (for
implementers) release level are copyrighted.

For those who can afford it, a useful source is:

OMNICOM, INC.
115 Park Street SE
Vienna, VA 22180
(703) 281-1135

You can order by phone if you have a credit card.  You should have a
good idea what you want when you call, e.g. the document number, as
the telemarketers are not ISO wizards.

Jim

dff@Morgan.COM (Daniel F. Fisher) (02/07/89)

ISO documents are also available from

American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
1430 Broadway
New York, NY  10018
Sales Department: 212/642-4900

Two documents may be of particular interest:

1) ISO Catalogue ($32.00)
	Annual catalogue

2) ISO Bulletin ($37.00 per year)
	Monthly newsletter

--
Daniel F. Fisher
dff@morgan.com

kap121@ztivax.UUCP (Thomas Oeser) (02/09/89)

In article <6217@saturn.ucsc.edu>, ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:

> One of the major problems with ISO is that their documentation is not
> readily accessible as far as I know to email people.  Is ISO public domain?
> Is there a server for ISO documents?  Does any Internet site have them online?

ISO documents that are already International Standards or Technical Reports are
distributed by

		International Organization for Standardization
		1, rue de Varembe
		Case postale 56
		CH-1211 Geneva 20

		Phone: + 41 22 34 12 40
		Fax:   + 41 22 33 34 30
		Telex: 23 887 iso ch

ISO owns a copyright on every document that reaches Draft (!!) International
Standard Status (i.e., you (mostly) can't get it for free, no public domain,
etc.).

A more pragmatic way to get ISO documents is to contact the office of your
national member body (USA: ANSI, France: AFNOR, UK: BSI, Germany: DIN, etc.).

The biggest problems are here,

	- that you should know, in which ISO committees the work is undertaken
	you are interested in;

	- that you should know the counterpart of the relevant committy in your
	national member body;

	- that you should know the secretary of this group whitin your national
	menber body (at least his/her phone number... :-) );

Th. Oeser

P.S.: I know, that ISO is starting to archive its documents using SGML style.
      There is also some archive/information system in consideration...

ARPA:		kap121@ztivax.siemens.com
UUCP:		kap121@ztivax.uucp (may work only in Europe...)
Postal mail:	Siemens AG, K Sys Ap 121, Otto-Hahn-Ring 6, P.O. Box 830951,
		D-8000 Munich 83, West Germany
Phone:		+ 49 (89) 636-47537
FAX:		+ 49 (89) 636-41477

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed are my own, and should not be attributed to anyone else
living or dead.

hrs@homxb.ATT.COM (H.SILBIGER) (02/22/89)

In article <6217@saturn.ucsc.edu>, ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:

> Yes, that's right, I also want to know how to obtain ISO documents.

ISO standards can be ordered from ANSI in New York City.  Some libraries have them.  They are not public domain, since they are expensive to produce,, and ISO
is supported by National Bodies such as ANSI, BSI and DIN, which are not
government organizations, but have membership fees.

Somee libraries will have copies of ISO standards.  Copies of working documents
(draft standards) are available to participants involved in the standards
making process.

Herman Silbiger  hrs@batavier.ATT.COM

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (02/23/89)

In article <3035@homxb.ATT.COM> hrs@homxb.ATT.COM (H.SILBIGER) writes:
>ISO standards can be ordered from ANSI in New York City.  Some libraries have them.
>They are not public domain, since they are expensive to produce,, and ISO
>is supported by National Bodies such as ANSI, BSI and DIN, which are not
>government organizations, but have membership fees.
>Herman Silbiger  hrs@batavier.ATT.COM

On the other hand, of the six or eight documents I have gotten from ANSI,
none have had a copyright notice anywhere within the text. I'll agree
that you can't get the docs from ANSI for free (usually around $35-$60
for the ones I ordered) but they do indeed seem to be in the public domain,
meaning that they can be copied and redistributed without fee.
What page is the copyright notice on, if you have seen one?
		     - Darren New

dff@Morgan.COM (Daniel F. Fisher) (02/24/89)

In article <9369@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>. . . of the six or eight documents I have gotten from ANSI,
>none have had a copyright notice anywhere within the text. . . .
>they do indeed seem to be in the public domain, . . .
>What page is the copyright notice on, if you have seen one?

The two ANSI/IEEE documents I have in my office are copyright IEEE.
Tne several ISO documents I have are copyright ISO.  The CCITT
Fascicles are copyright ITU.  The ANSI catalogue is copyright ANSI.
The ISO catalogue is copyright ISO.  The ISO Bulletin for Dec. 86
does not have a copyright (at least not that I found `?^)~ ).
Naturally, the international standards organizations use the
circle-c and don't bother to say "copyright".  So look carefully.
I think you'll find that most of these standards are copyrighted.

--
Daniel F. Fisher
dff@morgan.com

shapiro@rb-dc1.UUCP (Mike Shapiro) (02/24/89)

In article <9369@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:

>On the other hand, of the six or eight documents I have gotten from ANSI,
>none have had a copyright notice anywhere within the text. I'll agree
>that you can't get the docs from ANSI for free (usually around $35-$60
>for the ones I ordered) but they do indeed seem to be in the public domain,
>meaning that they can be copied and redistributed without fee.
>What page is the copyright notice on, if you have seen one?

I just pulled an ANSI X3.9-1978 (FORTRAN) off the shelf and found the
copyright notice on the back of the title page.  (I suppose that would be
page ii, although the front matter pages are not numbered.)

--

Michael Shapiro, Gould/General Systems Division
15378 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (02/25/89)

My group has a partial set of the final reports to the Plenary
Assembly for the Blue Book. We looked and were unable to find a
copyright notice anywhere. This seems to imply that once we get the
Blue Book, we can copy a standard from the final reports, but not the
(not coincidentally) identical standard from the Blue Book. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

				Peter Desnoyers

jhh@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Haller) (02/28/89)

In article <26323@apple.Apple.COM>, desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
> This seems to imply that once we get the
> Blue Book, we can copy a standard from the final reports, but not the
> (not coincidentally) identical standard from the Blue Book. Please
> correct me if I am wrong.

The contents of the blue books will not necessarily be identical
to the AP final reports.  In the 1984 books, for example, the AP
document had some mistakes in the description of closed user groups
for X.25 (X.300, I believe), which was fixed in the Red books.
The corrections are generally of an editorial nature, however.

The AP documents can be freely distributed, however.

John Haller