[net.micro] MS-DOS disk format/layout

vic@.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (10/28/86)

I'm looking for any information about MS-DOS disk formats (5.25" and 3.5")
and how the file system is layed out.

Things like how to find a file from the FAT, how a directory is layed out and
how to search it.

If anyone could help me, it would be most appreciated.

vic {..!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!vic}

prindle@nadc.arpa (11/02/86)

The original poster of this query has too bizarre an address to hope to reply
directly - and it may be of general interest:

[SIMTEL20] PD:<CPM.DSKUTL>RDMS233.LBR

This file in the SIMTEL20 archives reads MSDOS diskettes from CP/M, and thus
contains (embedded within the C code for the most part) the requested info on
FAT and directory layouts on 5.25 inch MSDOS diskettes, including subdirector-
ies.  It indeed searches for files and copies them to CP/M format.  There are
a couple of bugs in that version, especially when reading subdirectories, but
the general principles are accurate.  I am preparing to post a Commodore 128
version of this program to the SIMTEL20 archives, which will have these bugs
fixed.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/03/86)

In article <387@zen..UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:

>I'm looking for any information about MS-DOS disk formats (5.25" and 3.5")
>and how the file system is layed out.
>
>Things like how to find a file from the FAT, how a directory is layed out and
>how to search it.

Purchase a copy of the PC-DOS Technical Reference Manual from your local IBM
dealer.  It has all you need in there.  I have one and have used said
information to fix problems.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \