[comp.protocols.iso] X-WINDOWS & OSI & DTAM & VT/TM

savela@vtt.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (08/03/89)

In article <8906141943.AA04269@gateway.mitre.org>, rick@gateway.mitre.org writes:
> [...]
> There is also an OSI work item called "Terminal Management" that
> discusses a rather X-like capability.  Anybody up to date on
> how it's going, and how its contributors see the relationship
> between X and Terminal Management?

  I would too like to know about Terminal Management (VT/TM?). I
have seen mentioned, that VT/TM would support ODA/ODIF data streams.
Then there is another standard cooking (CCITT DTAM), which also
seem to center on passing ODA/ODIF information between clients/
servers.  Especially the designs on "Operational Structures"
(defined in connection with DTAM for VideoText) seem to overlap
with TM?  Or have I misunderstood something?

  Could the standards viewed as follows (example only)?

   Information          DTAM          Client
   Server       <--- (ODA/ODIF) --->  Program  <-- X-Window -->
                  Pure information,            Representation of
                  not specifically             the information
                  formatted for any            on specific device
                  device.

   Information Server could be conference system, data base server,
message store, etc. It must some how be able to interact with the
user on the other end with very general operations (like "this is
a selection of objects, choose one").
--
  Markku Savela