[net.micro] Networking PCs, MACs, Apples, etc.

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.arpa (11/06/86)

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Wed,  5-NOV-1986 20:44 EST
To:      INFO-MICRO@BRL-VGR.ARPA

1) Recently DEC announced a thinwire Ethernet <--> real Ethernet box.
   (DEMPR or something like that.)

2) Like someone said, the Apple ][ class machines can jump onto Appletalk
   with the Macs and hence onto Ethernet.  But perhaps that's thinwire
   Ethernet - but that's no problem for a DEMPR/VAX.

3) I have seen PCs use DEC's DECnet-DOS product to talk over 3Com thinwire
   Ethernet boards - through the DEC box - and into a MicroVAX II doing
   virtual terminal services.

Sounds like you've got a network to me if the software is any good.  I can
vouch for DECnet DOS - it's wonderful (if you know DECnet you'll feel
right at home !).  I dunno about the Appletalk stuff, particularly for a
///... but if you can run the ///'s in ][ emulation mode when you need to
do net-stuff you ought to be able to do something. Remember that Apple ///
SOS is compatable with ProDOS-8, so you can always walk a disk over to a
][-class machine.  Maybe another approach is if Apple made a card for
their (now defunct ?!) "school bus" for the /// ?!  Then again, if all
you're looking for is file transfer there's always Kermit - and that's a
good bit cheaper than all of this Ethernet hardware.

Other things aside - if you live on a PC and play with VAXen DECnet DOS
is a MUST even if you don't net yourself to everything else.
Alternatively you can use DECnet DOS through a serial port (abiet much
slower) and without any PC-hardware investment -- besides DECnet DOS is
comparitively cheap (~$300).  [Flame: pity that you can buy DECnet for a
wimpy processor like the 8088 so inexpensively when you can't get it on
one of the 68K-class machines.]

rcs
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa