[comp.protocols.iso] Does US Gosip 2.0 exist?

jh@tut.fi (Hein{nen Juha) (08/30/89)

I asked this 5 months ago and then heard that version 2.0 of US Gosip
would be available in the summer.  Today I looked from various ftp
hosts (nisc.nyser.net, uunet.uu.net, sh.cs.net, etc.) but only found
version 1.0.  I was not able to connect to sri-nic as usual.  Does
anyone know the current status of the Gosip document?
--
--	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)

mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) (08/30/89)

The GOSIP Version 2 draft specification was made available (in hard
copy) for public comment on approximately July 15.  Comments must be
received by October 11, 1989.  The announcement of availability states:
"Interested parties may obtain a copy of GOSIP from the Standards
Processing Coordinator (ADP), National Institute of Standards and
Technology, Technology Building, Room B-64, Gaithersburg, MD 20899,
telephone (301) 975-2816."

Hope this helps.

dougm@WARTHOG.NCSL.NIST.GOV (Doug Montgomery) (09/03/89)

A draft version of U.S. GOSIP version 2 is available for anonymous FTAM
(ISODE 5.0, user: ftam, realstore = unix) from osi3.ncsl.nist.gov
(129.6.48.108) and for anonymous FTP from osi3.ncsl.nist.gov,
osi.ncsl.nist.gov (129.6.48.100) and nic.ddn.mil (10.0.0.51, 26.0.0.73).

The directory ./pub/gosip (<PROTOCOLS> on nic.ddn.mil) contains postscript
and ASCII text versions of the specification (compressed ".Z" format available).
The announcement that follows gives further details for obtaining hard
copy, submitting written comments and contacts for further information.

| Doug Montgomery                                     dougm@osi3.ncsl.nist.gov |
| National Institute of Standards and Technology                               |
| Technology Building, B-217                               (301) 975-3630      |
| Gaithersburg, MD 20899                                   TELEX: 89-8493      |

                                  NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF STANDARDS AND TECHNOLOGY
                                  National Computer Systems Laboratory

July 13, 1989

>From:    National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)

Subject: Request for comments.

A revision to Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 146
adopting the Government Open Systems Profile (GOSIP) is proposed for
Federal agency use. Version 1 of GOSIP, adopted as FIPS 146, provided
Open System Interconnection protocols for electronic mail and file
transfer functions. The proposed revision incorporates Version 2 of
GOSIP which provides protocols for the following additional functions:

    o The Virtual Terminal Service (TELNET and Forms profiles);
    o The Office Document Architecture;
    o The Integrated Services Digital Network;
    o The End System to Intermediate System protocol; and, as user options,
    o The Connectionless Transport Service; and
    o The Connection Oriented Network Service.

Version 2 of GOSIP is based on agreements reached by vendors and users of
computer networks participating in the National Institute of Standards
and Technology (NIST) Workshop for Implementors of Open Systems
Interconnection.

Prior to the submission of this proposed revision to the Secretary of
Commerce for review and approval, it is essential to assure that
consideration is given to the needs and views of manufactures, the
public, and State and local governments. The purpose of this notice is
to solicit such views.

Interested parties may obtain a copy of GOSIP from:

     Standards Processing Coordinator (ADP)
     Technology Building, Room B-64
     Gaithersburg, MD 20899

     (301) 975-2816

Comments on this proposed revision must be received on or before
September 29, 1989.  Written comments concerning the revision should be
sent to:

     Director, National Computer Systems Laboratory
     ATTN: Revision of FIPS 146
     Technology Building, Room B-154
     Gaithersburg, MD 20899

Written comments received in response to this notice will be made part
of the public record and will be made available for inspection and
copying in:

     Central Reference and Records Inspection Facility
     Herbert C. Hoover Building, Room 6628
     14th Street between Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues, NW
     Washington, DC 20230

For further information contact:

     Mr. Gerard F. Mulvenna
     Technology Building, Room B-217