[comp.protocols.iso] Remote Printer Access protocol?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/12/89)

(Strange. Nobody seems to have been thinnking of this before. Still, it's
one of the more common uses of networks.)

Is there anybody who knows if there exists such a thing like a Remote
Printer Access Protocol or something like that in the TCP/IP or ISO
world?

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

pedersen@philmtl.philips.ca (Paul Pedersen) (09/14/89)

In article <814@maxim.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>(Strange. Nobody seems to have been thinnking of this before. Still, it's
>one of the more common uses of networks.)
>
>Is there anybody who knows if there exists such a thing like a Remote
>Printer Access Protocol or something like that in the TCP/IP or ISO
>world?
>
>--
>          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
>	  ERBE DATA AB

I just received this morning (coincidence ?) the following documents :

   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18 N1990 : DP 10175-1
                             "Information Processing - Text Communication -
                              Document Printing Application -
                              Part 1: Abstract Service Definition
                                      and Procedures"

   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18 N1990 : DP 10175-2
                             "Information Processing - Text Communication -
                              Document Printing Application -
                              Part 2: Protocol Specification"

Both together total 210 pages.  These are not standards yet
(DP = Draft Proposal) but presumably will be sooner or later. It has just
been distributed for SC18 ballot (why I got it). SC18 WG4 is responsible,
I'm in WG3 so can't really tell you more about it, you can probably get a
copy from your national ISO member body.

Hope this helps  :-)

Paul

mhsc@oce-rd1.oce.nl (Maarten Schoonwater) (09/27/89)

In article <814@maxim.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:

>Is there anybody who knows if there exists such a thing like a Remote
>Printer Access Protocol or something like that in the TCP/IP or ISO
>world?

There is a significant amount of work done on the Document Print
Application service description and protocol within ECMA TC32-TG5. The work
is currently approaching the ECMA standard stage and is also picked up by
ISO SC18 where approximately the same text will go for DP ballot this
summer. This is the text Paul Pederson is refering to. I am a member of
the ECMA group. The editor is Stan McConnell of Xerox.

The DPA work addresses the protocol between an print client and a print
server and caters for all functionality such as job information, job
scheduling instructions, production instructions (paper type, output bins,
copy count, multiple up etc) status of printer, job and server; printer
attributes etc.

There is already limited prototyping work underway. If you want more info,
just ask.

Maarten Schoonwater
Oce-Nederland BV
Venlo, Netherlands
email: mhsc@oce.nl
phone: +31 77 59 35 48

 This note does not necessarily represent the position
 of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 responsibility for whatever will be accepted.