[comp.protocols.iso] looking for OSI protocol address format

fiona@excelan.com (Fiona Ho) (09/29/89)

Can anyone share with me the OSI protocol address format that you use in
your OSI implementation ?

Currently, I am working on an interface between session and transport. The
protocol address format that I plan to use is as follows:

    |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|
    | L1   |  TSAP	    | L2    |	NSAP		  |
    |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|

    L1     one byte, specifies byte length of TSAP and must not exceed 32.
    L2     one byte, specifies byte length of NSAP and must not exceed 20.
    TSAP   Transport service access point address.
    NSAP   Network service access point address.

Any information will be very much appreciated.

Fiona Ho

michaud@devax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (09/29/89)

>     |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|
>     | L1   |  TSAP	    | L2    |	NSAP		  |
>     |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|
>
>     L1     one byte, specifies byte length of TSAP and must not exceed 32.
>     L2     one byte, specifies byte length of NSAP and must not exceed 20.
>     TSAP   Transport service access point address.
>     NSAP   Network service access point address.

	If I'm not mistaken, what you are calling a TSAP is really
	only a TSEL (Transport Selector).  A TSAP includes the
	next lower layers addressing information (ie. TSAP would
	contain both the TSEL and the NSAP).

	Question, is 32 the max. TSEL length these days?  I still
	hear rumblings that max. length may be increased (or is
	32 the new length?)?

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

sklower@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) (09/29/89)

In article <472@excelan.COM> fiona@excelan.com (Fiona Ho) writes:
>Can anyone share with me the OSI protocol address format that you use in
>your OSI implementation ?

I'll apologize in advance for not drawing as neat diagrams
as Fiona.  (At the moment I'm working from home at 1200 baud).
We plan to do something similar (here at Berkeley) except
that we'll group all the lengths at the beginning so that you can
easily locate the selectors via standard C constructs.

Marshall Rose says that you must allow for 64 byte TSEL lengths.
Also the 4.4BSD implementation will definitely allow for iso sockaddr's
as big as you need; the 32byte structure shown here is a minimum.

struct iso_addr {
	u_char	isoa_len;			/* length (in bytes) */
	char	isoa_genaddr[20];		/* general opaque address */
};

struct sockaddr_iso {
	u_char	 	siso_len;		/* total length */
	u_char	 	siso_family;		/* family */
	u_char		siso_plen;		/* presentation selector length */
	u_char		siso_slen;		/* session selector length */
	u_char		siso_tlen;		/* transport selector length */
	struct 	iso_addr siso_addr;		/* network address */
	u_char		siso_pad[6];		/* space for gosip v2 sels */
};
#define siso_nlen siso_addr.isoa_len
#define siso_data siso_addr.isoa_genaddr

#define TSEL(s) ((caddr_t)((s)->siso_data + (s)->siso_nlen))
#define SSEL(s) (TSEL(s) + (s)->siso_tlen)
#define PSEL(s) (SSEL(s) + (s)->siso_slen)

REIJS@SURFNET.NL (10/04/89)

>     |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|
>     | L1   |  TSAP        | L2    |   NSAP              |
>     |------|----------------|-------|---------------------|
>
>     L1     one byte, specifies byte length of TSAP and must not exceed 32.
>     L2     one byte, specifies byte length of NSAP and must not exceed 20.
>     TSAP   Transport service access point address.
>     NSAP   Network service access point address.

Some additional information.

According X.213 Annex A, the nSAP can have a maximum length of 40
(decimal digits encoding of DSP) or 20 (binary octets encoding of
DSP).

In the RARE/COSINE community (Cooperation for Open Systems
Interconnection networking in Europe) the decimal encoding is
recommended, together with the use of NSAP ISO-DCC.

In the same community RARE WG4 is now making a recommendation about
how the allocation of NSAP ISO-DCC can be done by the National Standard
Organizations. Further more a recommendation will be made, how
the DSP will be allocated by the subnetworks.

I hope you canb do something with the above information.

All the best,

                           _   _   _   _
                             |   |   |
Victor Reijs                                   tel: +31 30 310290
Network development                            fax: +31 30 340903
SURFnet b.v.                             E-mail: Reijs@surfnet.nl
P.O.box 19035
3501 DA Utrecht
The Netherlands