[net.music] Bill Laswell, Material, Massacre

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/23/85)

> From: brandx@ihlpl.UUCP (H. D. Weisberg)

> Does anyone know what Laswell is up to now (as a musician, not a
> producer)?  "Omaha" is considered old news.  I heard something about a
> band called Deadline that he formed as a successor to Material.  Any
> similar news?

I don't know what Laswell is up to now.  (He writes Herbie Hancock's
music for him, every now and then, to make money, doesn't he?)

A few years back, the three guys that made up Material (Fred Frith, Bill
Laswell, and some other guy I can't remember right now) also had a group
called Massacre.  Massacre is *really* great, and very different from
Material, but not for the weak of ear.

			"Why kill time, when you can kill yourself?"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (08/25/85)

the other guy in massacre was drummer Fred Maher who is quite good...
i don';t know what he's doing now though.....massacre's album is called
killing time but you can also hear them on one side of Fred Frith's album
Speechless...live from CBGB's
hedger
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (09/04/85)

> the other guy in massacre was drummer Fred Maher who is quite good...
> i don';t know what he's doing now though.....massacre's album is called

Fred Maher is drumming furiously with the helium-voiced Green Gartside in
my favorite postMarxist Derridian dance band Scritti Politti. It's not like
uh...Material at all. One of the year's best, though.