[comp.protocols.iso] ODA viewer

richardb@fear+loathing.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (11/08/89)

In article <14803*demco@ean.ubc.ca> demco@EAN.UBC.CA (John Demco) writes:
+Kjell,
+
+You may wish to talk to Pierre Desjardins at the Canadian Workplace
+Automation Research Centre. They are doing a lot of work with ODA.
+Pierre's CDNnet address is "desjardins@ccrit.doc.cdn". They don't have
+a .CA address yet, so for the time being from the Internet you can use
+"desjardins%ccrit.doc.cdn@relay.cdnnet.ca".
+
+Also I suggest you talk to Philips. They are developing an OSI office
+system called Papyrus that includes ODA support. I saw a version of it
+at the Canadian Interest Group for Open Systems conference last week.

Can you tell me your impressions of this Papyrus ODA editor? I'd be
very interested in knowing.

+
+John Demco
+CDNnet

--
Help wipe out sci.aquaria in your lifetime.
Richard Brosseau Cognos Inc. decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!richardb

demco@EAN.UBC.CA (John Demco) (11/11/89)

>Can you tell me your impressions of this Papyrus ODA editor? I'd be
>very interested in knowing.

I didn't get a chance to look at it closely, sorry. Also I'm not
familiar enough with ODA/ODIF to evaluate implementations.  It seemed
to be well integrated into their window system, which looked to be
System V UNIX based, and the response was reasonably good.  It was
possible to transfer documents using X.400 e-mail.

--John

mhsc@fs1-cg.oce.nl (Maarten Schoonwater) (11/14/89)

In article <6*kjellr@odin.re.nta.uninett> you write:
>Good day!
>
>We are considering a project about making an ODA-(pre)viewer routine/program.
>Input will be either an ODA-structure or an ODIF-file plus information about
>the resolution on the output-device.
>
>The output can be anything displayable on different devices.
>
>We would very much like to get in contact with anyone who has done, or will
>do, something similar. Any contributions with help, suggestions or warnings
>are also welcomed.

In the Esprit project PODA a lot of work on ODA has been done. A
description of the work can be found in various articles.
One of the items was the definition and implementation of a C-language
library with functions to en/de-code an ODIF stream and to store and handle it
in a random access file format. As a part of this work Bull (France) have
based a PC toolkit on this work. One of the functions of this toolkit is to
format and preview ODIF streams.
This toolkit is for sale.

For more information you might contact Mrs Claude Kou at Bull
(kou@masbull.gtmy.bull.fr).

Kind regards

Maarten Schoonwater
Oce-Nederland BV