[comp.protocols.iso] X.500 products

arne@forit.uit.no (Arne-Wilhelm Theodorsen) (11/10/89)

I am working in a norwegian project for evaluating directory service
products, based upon the X.500 recommodation.  I hope I have come
"to the right church", but anyhow, can anybode help me answering the
following:
1. Are there any commercially X.500 products available, besides from
the Retix company (DS520) and maybe Siemens (Direct.X)?
2. Are there any work upon evaluation af X.500 products?

Thanks.

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (11/14/89)

> 1. Are there any commercially X.500 products available, besides from
> the Retix company (DS520) and maybe Siemens (Direct.X)?

Hewlett-Packard offers X.500 Directory Services in it's MAP 3.0 offering
and is available under HP-UX 7.0.  It is not a standalone implementation-
rather it is used for information in the MAP context.  Since the X.500
Directory Services recommendation was cited by the MAP group, you may wish
to look to MAP vendors as possible X.500 vendors as well...

						kevin

mbanan@bcsaic.UUCP (Mohsen Banan) (11/16/89)

In article <5560044@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
>> 1. Are there any commercially X.500 products available, besides from
>> the Retix company (DS520) and maybe Siemens (Direct.X)?
>
>Hewlett-Packard offers X.500 Directory Services in it's MAP 3.0 offering
>and is available under HP-UX 7.0.  It is not a standalone implementation-
>rather it is used for information in the MAP context.  Since the X.500
>Directory Services recommendation was cited by the MAP group, you may wish
>to look to MAP vendors as possible X.500 vendors as well...
>
>						kevin

It is worthwhile to point out that MAP 3.0 Directories and X.500 (blue book)
are not compatible.
They will NOT interoperate.

MAP 3.0 Directory chapter is a few years out of date.

--
	Mohsen Banan

	Boeing Computer Services		tel: +1-206-865-5208
	P.O.Box 24346, MS 7A-28			fax: +1-206-865-2007
	Seattle, Wa 98124-0346			E-Mail: mbanan@atc.boeing.com
	    U.S.A.					uw-beaver!bcsaic!mbanan

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (11/21/89)

> It is worthwhile to point out that MAP 3.0 Directories and X.500 (blue book)
> are not compatible.
> They will NOT interoperate.

While it is true that the MAP 3.0 spec cites the DIS version of the
X.ds and this is incompatible with the IS version of the X.500 protocol
(specifically the Credentials, but other changes as well), there are
activities underway to move the MAP 3.0 specification to use the IS
X.500 in a future document.  Since there aren't a great deal of MAP
vendors which supply Directory Services at this time, I'd presume (opinion
on) that now would be a good time to move for MAP to use the IS protocol,
before a large base of products using the DIS appear.  The
X.ds was not intended to be a standard and is therefore not entirely
stable... (opinion off)

					-k