[comp.protocols.iso] ISODE 5.0 - Any mail servers?

dhes@mcdfs.hf.intel.com.ogc.edu (06/13/89)

I'm interested in acquiring a copy of ISODE 5.0.  But unfortunately,
I don't have access to FTP or FTAM on the Internet through which ISODE 5.0
is distributed.  What I do have access to is the Internet mail.  Does anyone
out there know whether ISODE 5.0 is distributed through a mail server?

If a mail server for ISODE is available, I'd like to get the details.
Thanks
Dhesikan.

michaud@vaxcpu.nac.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (06/15/89)

In article <583@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, dhes@mcdfs.hf.intel.com.ogc.edu writes:
> I'm interested in acquiring a copy of ISODE 5.0.  But unfortunately,
> I don't have access to FTP or FTAM on the Internet through which ISODE 5.0
> is distributed.  What I do have access to is the Internet mail.  Does anyone
> out there know whether ISODE 5.0 is distributed through a mail server?
>
> If a mail server for ISODE is available, I'd like to get the details.
> Thanks
> Dhesikan.

	FYI - The compressed tar file for ISODE 5.0 is 3.5 Megabytes.  uuencode or
	btoa that and thats alot of bytes to be mailing around.  You may be better
	off looking for some place you can uucp it from.

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

mrose@cheetah.nyser.net (Marshall Rose) (06/15/89)

Actually, he's better off just sending $350 to UPenn for them to send him
a hardcopy of the documentation and a tar tape.

/mtr

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/12/89)

(we've got some old discussions lying around in spool...)

In article <2960@shlump.dec.com> michaud@vaxcpu.nac.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:
   In article <583@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, dhes@mcdfs.hf.intel.com.ogc.edu writes:
      I'm interested in acquiring a copy of ISODE 5.0...  If a mail
      server for ISODE is available, I'd like to get the details.

   FYI - The compressed tar file for ISODE 5.0 is 3.5 Megabytes.
   uuencode or btoa that and thats alot of bytes to be mailing around.
   You may be better off looking for some place you can uucp it from.

Yes, mail-based archive servers are a rude way to distribute big
chunks of stuff and should be discouraged, perhaps even disparaged.
And true to ISO form, ISODE certainly consists of big chunks :-)

I decided yesterday that I had cause to get involved with ISODE, and
used my guest account at cis.ohio-state.edu to get it from
nisc.nyser.net.  Since it was already there, I made it available via
anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.  Write to uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu (==
osu-cis!uucp) for instructions if you need them.

Both 5.0 and 5.8b (pre-6.0, right?) are available in 100,000-byte
slices as osu-cis!~/ISODE/isode-5.tar.Z-part-?? (aa through bi) and
osu-cis!~/ISODE/isode-pilot.tar.Z-part-?? (aa through bt),
respectively.  If you're a subscriber, you'll also find 5.0 on
uunet!~/networking/isode-5.tar.Z, all 3,448,185 bytes.

mrose@CHEETAH.NYSER.NET (Marshall Rose) (12/13/89)

You will remove any copies of isode 5.8b you have right NOW.  That is a beta
copy which is not to be redistributed.  Remove it now.

/mtr

bob@archer.MorningStar.COM (Bob Sutterfield) (12/13/89)

   Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 14:53:28 -0800
   From: Marshall Rose <mrose@cheetah.nyser.net>

   You will remove any copies of isode 5.8b you have right NOW.  That
   is a beta copy which is not to be redistributed.  Remove it now.

OK, sorry about that - didn't mean to cause problems.  I didn't know
its status, just saw it lying there on the distribution machine and
picked it up, always wanting to start with the Latest and Greatest.
5.8b is no longer on osu-cis for UUCP redistribution, though 5.0 is
still there.

I've started work on interfacing ISODE with our company's X.25 product
(that is, adding MST_X25 to the list with SUN_X25, CAMTEC, CAMTEC_CCL,
UBC_X25, and BRIDGE_X25 in config/OPTIONS, plus appropriate additions
to h/x25.h and a new compat/mstx25.c).  Should I be working with 5.0
or 5.8b?  To whom should I give the changes for folding back into the
mainstream release?  Is 6.0 frozen so that my stuff wouldn't appear
until 6.1, or is there still a chance of making it into the release?

Again, sorry to make waves!

mrose@CHEETAH.NYSER.NET (Marshall Rose) (12/14/89)

It is too late to add things for 6.0.  A few things changed in the transport
switch from 5.0 to 5.8b, so you should use 5.8b for your work.  After 6.0
comes out, you should rework your stuff into that and then submit it if you
wish!

Thanks,

/mtr