[comp.protocols.iso] OSI and BSD 4.4

vesalainen@cc.helsinki.fi (12/29/89)

	I have heard some rumours that next UNIX BSD (BSD 4.4)
	release will have an OSI implementation? Is it based on
	ISODE or what?

	ANy info would be appreciated.

sklower@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) (12/30/89)

In article <1671.259b6310@cc.helsinki.fi> vesalainen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>	I have heard some rumours that next UNIX BSD (BSD 4.4)
>	release will have an OSI implementation?

The next release of Berkeley Unix will indeed have an implementation
of OSI protocols, which are mostly being contributed from elsewhere.
IBM and the University of Wisconsin have contributed an implentation
of TP0 & TP4, CLNP, ESIS; negotations are proceeding with the University
of British Columbia concerning inclusion of their software implementation
of X.25 (and possibly contributions from another individual).  We are
counting on ISODE to provide user applications, including X.400 and X.500,
(which will be provided by UCL and University of Nottingham.

No documentation is available yet; things are still too much in a state
of flux.

lloyd@na.excelan.com (Lloyd Spencer) (01/10/90)

In article <33401@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
sklower@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) writes:

> The next release of Berkeley Unix will indeed have an implementation
> of OSI protocols, which are mostly being contributed from elsewhere.
> IBM and the University of Wisconsin have contributed an implentation
> of TP0 & TP4, CLNP, ESIS; negotations are proceeding with the University
> of British Columbia concerning inclusion of their software implementation
> of X.25 (and possibly contributions from another individual).

We have also heard that BSD 4.4 sockets has undergone/will undergo some
minor modifications, presumably to handle CLNP addresses due to their
length.  Has any documentation (initial draft or otherwise) been published
or released for BSD 4.4 sockets?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Lloyd T. Spencer
Novell, Inc.
Product Marketing
2180 Fortune Drive
San Jose, CA  95131

Phone   : (408) 473-8242
UUCP    : {ames,sun,apple,amdahl,mtxinu,cae780}!excelan!lloyd
Internet: lloyd@novell.com
          lloyd@excelan.com