[comp.protocols.iso] Official Document Describing OSI Reference Model

rogue@well.sf.ca.us (L. Brett Glass) (03/22/90)

I have hundreds of books (literally) which describe the OSI Reference Model,
but I have never seen the original ISO document which sets forth this model.
What are the name and number of the document, and what is the best way to
obtain it? If it's a FIPS as well as an ISO standard, what's the FIPS number?

Please respond by electronic mail as soon as possible; I need to be able to
quote from the original document in a "rush" paper I'm writing.

--Brett Glass

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (03/22/90)

Brett:

I don't have the "official" ISO source document.  I'd suggest though that
a key early paper is that by Hubert Zimmerman in 1980.

Zimmermann, Hubert

   "OSI Reference Model--The ISO Model of Architecture for Open
   Systems Interconection," IEEE Transactions on Communications,
   Vol. Com-28, No. 4, April 1980.

--jon.

bni@modulex.dk (Bent Nielsen) (03/22/90)

rogue@well.sf.ca.us (L. Brett Glass) writes:
>I have hundreds of books (literally) which describe the OSI Reference Model,
>but I have never seen the original ISO document which sets forth this model.
>What are the name and number of the document, and what is the best way to
>obtain it? If it's a FIPS as well as an ISO standard, what's the FIPS number?

>Please respond by electronic mail as soon as possible; I need to be able to
>quote from the original document in a "rush" paper I'm writing.

>--Brett Glass

Please for me to.
--
Bent Nielsen			<bni@modulex.dk>
A/S MODULEX

bhk@hermit.la.locus.com (Brad Kemp) (03/23/90)

The offical documents are:

ISO 7498: 1984, Information Processing Systems - Open Systems Interconnection -
Basic Reference Model

ISO 7498/Add. 1: 1984, Information Processing Systems - Open System
Interconnection - Addedum to ISO 7498 Covering Connectionless-mode Transmission

ISO/DIS 7498 Add. 2 : Information Processing Systems - Open System
Interconnection - Basic Reference Model - Part 2: Security Architecture

ISO 7498/Add. 3: 1984,  Information Processing Systems - Open System
Interconnection - Basic Reference Model - Part 3: Naming and Addressing

ISO/DIS 7498/Add. 4: Information Processing Systems - Open System
Interconnection - Basic Reference Model - Part 4: OSI management Framework

I do not know if any of these docuements are available in magnetic
form. They are available from Omnicom  (703)-281-1135 as well as
a few other standards vendors.

IS0 7498 is either going through a review cycle.

Brad Kewmp
Locus Computing Corp Boston Office
bhk@locus.com

joel@cs.arizona.edu (Joel M. Snyder) (03/23/90)

I sent this in EMAIL, but here's a posted reply:

ISO 7498, "Information Processing Systems --- Open Systems Interconnection ---
Basic Reference Model,"  the International Organization for Standardization.

There are also additional addenda, called 7498/1, 7498/2, etc, dealing
with connectionless services, multipeer data transfer, naming and addressing,
and security (last one from memory; I wrote the original reply while
at the office).  Not all of the addenda are "standards;" there is a sequence
which goes DP, DIS, IS (Draft Protocol, Draft IS, Intl Std) and some of
them are more or less along in that sequence.

Finally, the best place to get ISO standards is Omnicom.  (#include disclaimer)
They have high prices, but they have EVERYTHING in stock (by definition; if
they don't, they'll copy it for you and send that while you wait) and
excellent service.  As a private company, they do much better on responsiveness
and service than either ANSI (for ANSI and ISO documents, in New York),
Commerce (for CCITT documents) or TIA (for TIA/EIA standards).  They have
an 800- number.

Joel Snyder
Standards Folk