[comp.protocols.iso] Wanted - info about OSINET

grieve@cos.com (David Grieve) (05/31/90)

In article <08lF02VMabsK01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> mahesh@uts.amdahl.com (Mahesh Veerina) writes:
>Can someone direct me as to where I can get the information about
>OSINET, specifically:
>
>	o What is OSINET and what is it used for?
>
>	o How can we become a member of OSINET?
>
>	o What is the setup needed to connect to OSINET?
>
>I remember reading in Marshall Rose's "Open Book", that we need an
>AT&T ACCUNET connection.
>
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
>--
>mahesh			mahesh@uts.amdahl.com
>			{ames,sun,decwrl,apple}!amdahl!mahesh

OSINET's objectives are to provide a cooperative environment for
interoperability testing among OSINET participants in order to foster the
development of OSI protocols.  Participants in OSINET test over a wide
area (X.25) network.  The PDN of choice in OSINET is ACCUNET (but that
doesn't mean you can't use another - only if you do, your choice of
testing partner may be more limited).  OSINET is hosted by NIST and the
meetings are held the same week of the workshops.  Usually the technical
meeting is on tuesday, the steering committee on wednesday.

OSINET participants must participate in either the steering committee, an
OSINET technical subcommittee, or some type of OSINET directed research
effort.  You must also have an end system connected to the PDN that
supports an OSINET project (right now, FTAM and/or MHS).

Upon joining OSINET, you are assigned an organization id for your NSAP.
(The NSAP format is:  AFI=47, IDI=0004, 2 octets of Org-Id, 2 octets of subnet
Id, 6 octets of station id, 1 octet N-Selector.)

For info, contact

OSINET Chair
NIST
Building 225, Room B217
Gaithersburg, MD 20899.

By the way, we here at COS have a interoperability laboratory where
vendors can bring there equipment for testing.  We run the lab 3
times a year.  The laboratory environment has advantages over the WAN
environment in that you are "elbow-to-elbow" with your testing partner
and can solve problems in real time, rather than having to play phone
tag.  The lab has 802.4, 802.3 and X.25 connectivity (the X.25 is routed
locally, but the switch is connected to ACCUNET).  COS is also an OSINET
member.  We test FTAM and MHS using the OSIone/OSINET tests, but will
entertain any other protocols you may wish to test.

For more info on the COS I-Lab, contact

Nancy Pierce  (nkp@cos.com)
Manager, Testing Services
Corporation for Open Systems, Intl.
Suite 400
1750 Old Meadow Road
McLean, VA 22102-4306
--
grieve@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!grieve
DISCLAIMER:  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the

Stef@NRTC.NORTHROP.COM (Einar Stefferud) (06/02/90)

Just for your information, here is a useful address for OSInet.

    "Carol Edgar - OSINet Chair" <edgar@osi.ncsl.nist.gov>