[comp.protocols.iso] Simple, low-level ISO protocols?

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/12/90)

I'm certainly not up-to-date on all or even many of the ISO
protocols, so I ask this.  TCP/IP has a number of very low-level
protocols such as BOOTP, TFTP, and so on.  It seems to my naive
knowledge that such protocols would be very difficult to do trivially
in OSI.  For example, it looks like ARP, BOOTP, and TFTP could
all comfortably fit in a smallish boot rom, whereas FTAM could
not reasonably be expected to do so.  My question is whether
I am right or wrong.  It seems that the lack of ability to
support such low-level protocols in OSI would mean either
two network standards (bad idea) or trivial special-case
versions of full-blown protocols (hard to standardize, I would
think) or massive configuration files requiring big boot roms or
local hard disks or whatever (expensive).  Is it really the case
that simple trivial applications are really difficult under OSI,
or have they just not been standardized, or have I just not
heard of them?
		Just curious
		-- Darren

grieve@cos.com (David Grieve) (06/12/90)

In article <21689@estelle.udel.EDU> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>in OSI.  For example, it looks like ARP, BOOTP, and TFTP could
>all comfortably fit in a smallish boot rom, whereas FTAM could
>not reasonably be expected to do so.  My question is whether
[more deleted]

I'm not sure what you mean by "smallish", but I've seen
FTAM and MHS on an IBM AT (clone or otherwise) as well as on
a MacIntosh. There are single board 7 layer solutions for OSI
out there though I don't know what they cost (and because
of who I work for, am not able to mention - disclaimer or no).

>local hard disks or whatever (expensive).  Is it really the case
>that simple trivial applications are really difficult under OSI,
>or have they just not been standardized, or have I just not
>heard of them?

No one ever said OSI was trivial but I think what you get from
it is more utility and robustness.

--
grieve@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!grieve
DISCLAIMER:  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the