[comp.protocols.iso] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.protocols.iso.migration

kwang@infmx.UUCP (Kwang Sung) (06/15/90)

Hi...

	I would like to apologize for my previous incorrect procedures
to create a new newsgroup. I didn't know how to do it. Please discuss at
"news.groups".

	I would like to propose sincerely to create a new newsgroup
"comp.protocols.iso.migration".  Here is the purpose on creation:

	Since there are many companies who are interested in migration/
transition to OSI without having Internet connection currently, I proposed
such a newsgroup on USENET. I hope we also can have close relationships with
already existing groups such as X3S3.3 (the ANSI group for network and
transport layers), IETF-OSI, etc.

	This new newsgroup will discuss any technical or non-technical
issues on any protocols/strategies even besides TCP/IP which might be
helpful to migrate/transit to OSI world. For example, we might be able to
discuss many deficiencies on our U.S. GOSIP.

	As I've mentioned earlier, I am sure this newsgroup will resolve
our networking future, and will give us a right direction to OSI.

	So, could you discuss more about a new newsgroup "comp.protocols
.iso.migration" so that we can create it in the near future ??

	Thank you for your help !!

					Kwang Sung
					Informix Software, Inc.
					4100 Bohannon Dr.
					Menlo Park, CA 94025
					415 / 926 - 6758 (O)
					UUCP: ...!uunet!infmx!kwang

Disclaimer: Those opinions are mine alone, not my employers'.

kwang@infmx.UUCP (Kwang Sung) (06/28/90)

Dear Mr. Phillip G. Gross:

	You wrote:

>Let me add my vote to Doug montgomery's suggestion that you consider
>participating in the IETF OSI working groups and mailing lists.

	Actually, I am in your IETF mailing lists now. I wish I can attend
your next meeting at the University of British Columbia.

>As Doug points out, many of the topics in your list are being specifically
>addressed in IETF WGs.  For example, IETF OSI WGs reviewed GOSIP and
>forwarded comments to NIST.  The IETF is now represented on the GOSIP
>advance requirements group.

	That's true.

>It seems to me that it would be very useful for you to bring your discussion
>and proposals for OSI migration into the appropriate IETF WGs, rather than
>duplication efforts  (or at least leave the discussion in the ISO mailing
>list, which has a lot of cross participation),

	I understood. However, IETF-OSI WGs are mostly working within Internet
community. There are a lot of companies such as Informix who does not access
the Internet directly, but wants to migrate to OSI from TCP/IP, SNA, DECNET,etc.
In that sense, IETF-OSI cannot resolve more general migration strategies.
I think USENET is the easiest network we can get. Therefore, I would like to
create such a newsgroup "comp.protocols.iso.migration" on USENET. Right now,
only 73 persons were listed for votes. Among them, 25 persons said "NO".
Obviously, currently there are not much traffic on "comp.protocols.iso".
However, it IS necessary to create such a newsgroup on USENET for the future,
since I am confident all of our networking fields are moving towards one OSI
world.

>In my opinion, this would only further splinter the available resources, and
>possibly do exactly what none of us want to see right now -- slow down the
>process.

	In my opinion, this will make OSI world more active and aggressive.

>Thank you,
>Phill Gross
>IETF Chair

	I appreciate your opinion. Thanks.