[comp.protocols.iso] how can you keep on moving, unless you migrate too?

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (06/28/90)

In article <PCG.90Jun25084059@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>Ironically a number of JANET hosts are migrating as fast as they can to
>TCP/IP; I expect that eventually JANET will be used only to carry TCP/IP
>traffic on X.25 circuits. In other words, it can also be true that JANET
>hosts find quite a bit of utility in being able to access the INTERNET,
>which is some orders of magnitude larger.

I wouldn't have said there were many sites migrating to TCP/IP though.
Most of us are heading for OSI as soon as possible.
I thought the amount of IP tunneling on JANET was quite small.
Even as it is, it is possible to FTAM to the Internet from my box.

>Well, in the UK there are quite a few; let's say half a dozen at least,
>and maybe as much as a dozen. Anonymous FTAM is far less convenient
>(it's currently strictly offline, spooled, batch) than FTP, but at
>least the user is is the much more convenient "guest" rather than
>"anonymous" :-).

This is simply not true.
You can use the ISODE FTAM implementation which does I pretty good
emulation of the Berkeley Internet ftp.
It is the Blue Book NIFTP which is batched.

Cheers,
--
\/ato.  Ian Dickinson.    GNU's not got BSE.    "Oh MS-DOS! Why don't you tell
vato@cu.warwick.ac.uk          Plinth.           me why the world in which

yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) (07/06/90)

In article <419@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

   > 			 Anonymous FTAM is far less convenient
   > (it's currently strictly offline, spooled, batch) than FTP, but at
   > least the user is is the much more convenient "guest" rather than
   > "anonymous" :-).

                   ...     The problem with ftp (and rcp) is that the
   terminal (or window) is tied up for the duration, and I have to sit
   there and hold its hand to get it to work right.

Well, I think we should differentiate ftp the protocol and ftp the
program. You can implement a ftp client with interactive mode, batch
mode, and half batch mode (you login interactively, find the file you
want to transfer, and tell the ftp to get rid of the control terminal
and do the transfering in the background without supervision).  If you
like the challenge you can also design and implement a script language
for it.

But then, this has nothing to do with ftp, the protocol.

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (07/06/90)

> 			 Anonymous FTAM is far less convenient
> (it's currently strictly offline, spooled, batch) than FTP, but at
> least the user is is the much more convenient "guest" rather than
> "anonymous" :-).

Eh?  These are exactly the reasons that I prefer using uucp to ftp,
when both are available.  The problem with ftp (and rcp) is that the
terminal (or window) is tied up for the duration, and I have to sit
there and hold its hand to get it to work right.  With uucp, I can
submit the job (with a -m option if I want notification when it'd done)
and go about other work.  Across a LAN, ftp and uucp run at about the
same speed (though uucp is usually somewhat faster), so there's no
reason there to choose between them.  Convenience is all on the side
of uucp.  I don't even have to tell it to do a binary copy; forgetting
this is the thing that makes most ftp copies take twice as long as
they should.

Of course, there is the minor inconvenience that uucp creates files
at the destination that are owned by uucp, but I solved that one years
ago.  I have a little script "mine file ..." that changes the files'
ownership to mine.  (It's a trivial script for a Real Unix Hacker;
so much for filesystem security. ;-)

--
Typos and silly ideas Copyright (C) 1990 by:
Uucp: ...!{harvard.edu,ima.com,eddie.mit.edu,ora.com}!minya!jc (John Chambers)

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/06/90)

In article <YUKNGO.90Jul6013142@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca> yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) writes:
>You can implement a ftp client with interactive mode, batch
>mode, and half batch mode

Actually, there is a BITFTP server somewhere that you can mail an FTP script
to and it will do the FTP and mail you back the results automatically. Hence,
you have the best of both worlds.  I don't remember anything in the FTAM
spec that would imply that the service cannot be interactive, either.
Anyway, I think that the implementations of the FTP and FTAM protocols are
a separate issue than the protocols themselves, either of which can
be batch or interactive.                  -- Darren

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/07/90)

In article <YUKNGO.90Jul6013142@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca>
yukngo@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Cheung Yukngo) writes:
   In article <419@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

      > 			 Anonymous FTAM is far less convenient
      > (it's currently strictly offline, spooled, batch) than FTP, but at
      > least the user is is the much more convenient "guest" rather than
      > "anonymous" :-).

		      ...     The problem with ftp (and rcp) is that the
      terminal (or window) is tied up for the duration, and I have to sit
      there and hold its hand to get it to work right.

   Well, I think we should differentiate ftp the protocol and ftp the
   program. You can implement a ftp client with interactive mode, batch
   mode, and half batch mode (you login interactively, find the file you
   want to transfer, and tell the ftp to get rid of the control terminal
   and do the transfering in the background without supervision).  If you
   like the challenge you can also design and implement a script language
   for it.

A little note: I think that a you will already find a decent
implementation for all this, as perl scripts, in any comp.lang.perl
archive.

On the other hand you can also have interactive OSI style file transfer,
as it has been pointed out (ISODE). In this country (UK) however it is
rarely available (the offline variety is prevalent, and apparently the
reason is a conscious decision to "minimize network traffic" resulting
from interactive use, as well as a feeling that interactive access is
less secure), and it is mainly used gatewayed to Internet FTP servers...
:-).

I still reckon that the move to TCP/IP tunnelled over X.25 public
networks (from local TCP/IP based lan to remote TCP/IP based LAN via an
OSI WAN) is still going on strongly in Europe, especially on the
Continent (but also in the UK), and in the academic community. Migration
*to* TCP/IP indeed...
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) (07/07/90)

    Well, I think we should differentiate ftp the protocol and ftp the
    program.

For better or worse, this is what it all boils down to.  X.400 is seen
as a big advantage over SMTP because there are some very polished
X.400 applications out there, while the SMTP world is stuck with
university style hacks.  Similarly, IP will be very hard to get rid of
because of things like SUN NFS, which haven't been implemented on an
ISO stack yet.

It isn't really a battle of protocols, except down here in the trenches.
It's really a battle waged on the basis of user perception of applications.

BillW
-------