[comp.protocols.iso] "The Open Book" by Rose - your opinions sought

chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) (09/02/90)

From RFC1175:
   Rose, Marshall T., The Open Book: A Practical Perspective on OSI, 651
   pgs., Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989.

      This is a comprehensive book about Open Systems Interconnection
      (OSI).  In particular, this book focuses on the pragmatic aspects
      of OSI: what OSI is, how OSI is implemented, and how OSI is
      integrated with existing networks.  In order to provide this
      pragmatic look at OSI the book makes consistent comparisons and
      analogies of the OSI pieces with the TCP/IP suite of networking
      protocols.

What do you think about the book? Is it worth buying?
What I am after is a book which would be an equivalent of the Comer's
book on Internet but obout OSI.
How would you compare it with the Comer's book on Internet?
Is it similar in style, depth, objective and clarity?

I'll summarise if enough responses received.
Thank you.

      -m-------   Chris Jankowski - Senior Systems Engineer chris@yarra.oz{.au}
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty. Ltd.  fax  +61 3 820 0536
  -----mmmmm---   11th Floor, 14 Queens Road                tel. +61 3 820 0711
-------mmmmmmm-   Melbourne, Victoria, 3004       AUSTRALIA       (03) 820 0711

micron n. - a unit of length of one milionth of a meter,
            worth $2,000,000,000 since the fault in the Hubble space telescope
            mirror has been identified.

johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) (09/04/90)

In article <65137@yarra.oz.au> chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) writes:
>From RFC1175:
>   Rose, Marshall T., The Open Book: A Practical Perspective on OSI, 651
>   pgs., Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989.
>
>What do you think about the book? Is it worth buying?

I'm only one view here, but for myself at least, the Open Book is
probably one of the clearest explanations of OSI we've seen yet --
and that's saying quite a lot -- unless you LIKE reading standards
documents!  Rumor has it that Prentace Hall has another text concerning
OSI that I saw at Interop last year, but I have yet to find it.  It's
a shame P.H. isn't on the net.  Get the Open Book and Isode and you
are on your way to OSI (sort of).
John Antypas / Interactive Systems Corp.
uucp: ...!uunet!ism.isc.com!johnan    Internet: johnan@ism.isc.com
All statements above responsability of the author.