[comp.protocols.iso] ASN.1

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (12/13/87)

Does anyone have the specification for ASN.1 (which I believe is in X.409)
on-line and accessible via FTP?

--Pat.

michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) (12/21/87)

In article <3537@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:

>Does anyone have the specification for ASN.1 (which I believe is in X.409)
>on-line and accessible via FTP?

Me too please!  While we're on the subject, I'm also looking for spec of
ISO 8613 (ODA).
-Mike

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael@trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (08/24/90)

Hello! Where does one get info on ASN.1? Are there any ftp'able
sites with info on ASN.1?

Thanx, Roland

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems Programmer
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

Jim_Troester@TRANSARC.COM (08/27/90)

In <2721@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu
(Roland Schemers III) asks:
> Hello! Where does one get info on ASN.1? Are there any ftp'able
> sites with info on ASN.1?

> Thanx, Roland

The best source that I have found is:

"A Tutorial on ASN.1", by Philip Gaudette; dated May 1989.
Technical Report NCSL/SNA-89/12

It can be ordered by sending a request to:

        Attn. Document Request
        Systems and Network Architecture Division
        B-217/Technology Building
        Gaithersburg MD 20899

The publication is free.  On the cover page of the report it says, "A
version of this article has been submitted for publication to
'Computer Networks and ISDN Systems'"

In June 1990, a former co-worker (and current friend) Bob Odegard
posted a request similar to yours.  You may wish to contact him by
email to see if he has additional reccomendations; his email address
is "bob.odegard@sandiego.ncr.com".  In his post he recommended two
books that discuss the topic.  They were:

  Standards for Open Systems Interconnection by Knightson,Knowles,Larmouth
  The Open Book by Marshall T. Rose

My opinion is that Standards for Open Systems Interconnection is too
superficial at the presentation and application layers to be of much use.

Of course, ISO 8824-Specification of ASN.1 and ISO 8825-Specification
of Basic Encoding Rules for ASN.1 must be mentioned.

In the References Section of "A Tutorial on ASN.1" are a couple of
additional suggestions:
     D. Chappell. "A Tutorial on Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1).
     Omnicom Information Service Report 25, Omnicom, Inc., Vienna,
     Virginia, December 1986.

     J.A. Zajaczkowski.  An introduction to the CCITT/ISO standard on
     transfer syntax and notation.  "British Telecom Technology Journal",
     October 1987.

Good Luck,

JT

| James Troester     troester@transarc.com         (412) 338-4469  |
| Transarc Corp.,     707 Grant Street,     Pittsburgh, PA  15219  |
|            All statements are mine and not Transarc's            |
+==================================================================+

schmidt@indetech.com (Douglas C. Schmidt) (08/27/90)

In article <MaqFKEX0BwwLMN0fQ2@transarc.com> Jim_Troester@TRANSARC.COM writes:
++ In <2721@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu
++ (Roland Schemers III) asks:
++ > Hello! Where does one get info on ASN.1? Are there any ftp'able
++ > sites with info on ASN.1?

Andrew Tanenbaum's Computer Networks book (with the Orange cover, second
edition (?)) contains about 10 pages of overview of ASN.1.  In there he
mentions that an addendum to the original ISO 8824 draft includes explicit
support for bounded array declarations.  I'm curious whether anyone knows where
to find additional information about this addition to the ASN.1 spec?

	thanks,

		Doug
--
____*_  Douglas C. Schmidt          schmidt@indetech.com
\  / /  Independence Technologies   {sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!schmidt

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.160524.23104@indetech.com> schmidt@indetech.com (Douglas C. Schmidt) writes:
   Andrew Tanenbaum's Computer Networks book (with the Orange cover, second
   edition (?)) contains about 10 pages of overview of ASN.1.  In there he
   mentions that an addendum to the original ISO 8824 draft includes explicit
   support for bounded array declarations.  I'm curious whether anyone knows where
   to find additional information about this addition to the ASN.1 spec?

If you order IS 8824 from ISO or your favorite standars outlet (ANSI,
perhaps), Addendum 1 will be included.  I'm quite sure that they are
fully willing to sell you only the addendum.  It's usually referred to
as ISO 8824A1.  The addendum also adds support for macroes and other
nice stuff that it became pretty obvious was needed when the standard
was applied outside of ISO.  CCITT X.208 contains these by default.
This makes cross-reference between the two "technically aligned"
standards somewhat difficult, but it works.

I would suggest ordering the CCITT version rather than the ISO version
with addendum.  It's in the X.200 fascicle of the Blue Book.  ANSI
also sells these, I know.

The ISO texts (IS 8824/5 + addenda) cost four times more than the
CCITT texts, and the CCITT come in a nice blue soft cover, with the
entire X.200 series recommendations, as well.  You may want to save
some money, this way.
--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; N-0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik@naggum.uu.no>, <enag@ifi.uio.no>

eskovgaa@UVCW.UVIC.CA (Erik Skovgaard) (09/24/90)

Doug Steedman (one of the original authors of ASN.1) has also written
a book entitled: ASN.1: The Tutorial and Reference.  It is distributed
in North America by the PSC Institute (613) 731-7697 (Dave Balmer or
Linda Laframboise).

                                              ....Erik.

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (09/28/90)

In article <171*eskovgaa@uvcw.UVic.ca> eskovgaa@UVCW.UVIC.CA (Erik Skovgaard) writes:
>Doug Steedman (one of the original authors of ASN.1)...

I thought Deutsch, Resnick and Vittal were the original
authors of ASN.1 (see their report of September 1980, "A Specification
of a Draft Message Format Standard",  BBN Report No. 4486).  The report
specifies an encoding format which is virtually identical to the one finally
adopted as X.409, which became ASN.1.  Did Steedman write something
earlier?

Craig Partridge

ddeutsch@BBN.COM (Debbie Deutsch) (10/01/90)

Okay, here is the story.

The report to which you refer was a piece of work we did for the
National Bureau of Standards (now NIST), which was working on the
adoption of email standards that could be used by the federal
government.  When they started down that path there were no commercial
standards organizations working in that area, either on a national or
international basis, nor were there any plans for such activity.  That
changed some time after the NBS effort got going.

As a result, the BBN report and the work that went into it predated
the CCITT effort that produced X.409, which later evolved into ASN.1.
Doug Steedman was one of the authors of X.409 (1984), as were a number
of other people including myself.  For example, Jim White made many
major contributions, especially in the area of notation.  While X.409
did draw upon the work we did here, there are some important
differences too.  I could go into them, but it all seems rather moot
now :).

Debbie Deutsch