[comp.protocols.iso] Formal Specification in OSI

satam@jambo.ecs.umass.edu (Kirtikumar Satam) (10/02/90)

Hi!

I am a graduate student of University of Massachusetts and I need to
write (or to specify) protocols for a network architecture using one of
the formal protocol specification language.

 Now, as I understand, there are three FDTs standardised in the world.
Estelle and LOTOS by ISO and SDL by CCITT. Unfortunately, I could not
get any actual material on it. The only discussion on the above topic
that I could find was "IFIP workshops on Protocol Specification, testing
and Verification". I also don't have any DPs from ISO on Estelle (DP
9074) and LOTOS (DP 8807) as well as SDL ( Z.100, I think) as of now.

	I need to first understand the differences between these three and
also need to know which will emerge as the "Specification Language" in
the future. I also might need to develop a translator for the FDT chosen
for simulating the specifications on computer.

	Thus, I would appreciate all pointers to books, papers, publications
personal experiences which will help me in my work. This being a crucial
part of my thesis, any help from you will go a long way in helping me.

	I would appreciate personal e-mails, but if it contributes to a
lively discussion on net, please post it on net too so that more people
will able to express their opinions and experiences.

-satam.
Kirtikumar Ghanashyam Satam
INTERNET : satam@jambo.ecs.umass.edu
BITNET : satam@umaecs.bitnet
HOME : #68, Colonial Village, Amherst, MA 01002. TEL: 413-253-0954.
SCHOOL : #114, Marcus Hall, Dept. of ECE, UMASS, Amherst, MA 01003.

gram@uctcs.uucp (Graham Wheeler) (10/04/90)

Just a brief comment -

Estelle (Extended State Transition Language) is a Pascal superset allowing
asynchronous concurrent execution of FSM-based processes communicating via
message passing. It is an implementation-oriented FDT.

Lotos is based on Petri-nets, as far as I can recall. It is much more
`academic' than Estelle.

I heard (second-hand) that Dave Parnas said (at the 2nd International
Conference on FDT's in Canada late last year) that Lotos was popular
because it had a lot of scope for making little extensions and modifications
and getting publications as a result. Real protocol developers use Estelle
(if they use any FDT).

Just my two cents worth...

Graham Wheeler		      |	"Don't bother me,
Data Network Architectures Lab|		I'm reading a `Crisis'!"
Dept. of Computer Science     | Internet: <gram.uctcs@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org>
University of Cape Town       |     BANG: <...uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!uctcs!gram>

John.DeCarlo@p109.f131.n109.z1.fidonet.org (John DeCarlo) (10/05/90)

writes:

 KS>I am a graduate student of University of Massachusetts and I need to
 KS>write (or to specify) protocols for a network architecture using one of
 KS>the formal protocol specification language.

 KS>    Thus, I would appreciate all pointers to books, papers,publications
 KS>personal experiences which will help me in my work. This being a crucial
 KS>part of my thesis, any help from you will go a long way in helping me.

Well, there is an annual conference dedicated to formal specifications, called
FORTE (FORTE '90 was in Vancouver).  The proceedings from this conference would
undoubtedly prove useful.

NIST is doing a fair amount of work in Estelle.  Most of the LOTOS work I know
of is being done in Europe and most of that is being done in the academic
community.  I don't know what is happening with SDL.

I am doing work in LOTOS for the Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems
(CCSDS), if any specific questions on LOTOS arise.

John "You can be formal without a black tie" DeCarlo
jdecarlo@mitre.org

--

   	John DeCarlo, John.DeCarlo@p109.f131.n109.z1.fidonet.org
   	via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (10/07/90)

Thanks for your brief comment, Graham.  May I solicit one more?

How does SDL (CCITT's Specification and Description Language) fit into
the Estelle/Lotos picture?

--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; 0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik@naggum.uu.no>, <enag@ifi.uio.no>

gram@uctcs.uucp (Graham Wheeler) (10/11/90)

Hi again Erik

SDL (Specification & Description Language) is also FSM based, and has
both a graphic and a textual form. Probably the best would be for me
to quote a few references:

"SDL - CCITT Specification and Description Language", Rockstrom and
Saracco, IEEE Transactions on Communications, V30N6, June 1982

"A Meta-Implementation for SNA", Pozefsky and Smith, as above (this is
about IBM's FAPL)

I think the above issue may also have had something on LOTOS.

"Specifications of a Simplified Transport Protocol using different
Formal Description Techniques", Gregor Bochmann, Computer Networks
and ISDN Systems, #18, 1989/90, pp 335-377

The last is a comparison of Lotos, Estelle and SDL.

Hope these will be useful.