[comp.protocols.iso] DNSIX and GOSIP Coexistence

skidmore@europa.asd.contel.com (William E. Skidmore) (01/19/91)

I am trying to piece together (at the system level) the start of a GOSIP-based
network.  In addition to the GOSIP requirement, there is an additional requirement
that some users (and their associated LANS) be covered by DNSIX (the USDIA
mandated protocol for use in intelligence communities).  Since the requirement
for GOSIP stipulates that all end users will use the full seven layers of
GOSIP, and the intermediate processors use only the lower three layers, and
DNSIX is TCP/IP-based, we recognize that the two cannot coexist within the
current standards atmosphere.  Information derived from Mitre Corp (the people
who wrote the DNSIX protocol spec for DIA) indicates that they intend to
discuss the issue of GOSIP/DNSIX coexistence sometime during CY91.  My network
must start to be implemented during 4QTR CY91.

Does anyone have any info on prototype implementations of a network that
uses both DNSIX and GOSIP?

--
Bill Skidmore

boyter@bimbo.uucp (Maj Brian Boyter) (01/20/91)

skidmore@europa.asd.contel.com (William E. Skidmore) writes:

>I am trying to piece together (at the system level) the start of a GOSIP-based
>network.  In addition to the GOSIP requirement, there is an additional requirement
>that some users (and their associated LANS) be covered by DNSIX (the USDIA
>mandated protocol for use in intelligence communities).  Since the requirement
>for GOSIP stipulates that all end users will use the full seven layers of
>GOSIP, and the intermediate processors use only the lower three layers, and
>DNSIX is TCP/IP-based, we recognize that the two cannot coexist within the
>current standards atmosphere.  Information derived from Mitre Corp (the people
>who wrote the DNSIX protocol spec for DIA) indicates that they intend to
>discuss the issue of GOSIP/DNSIX coexistence sometime during CY91.  My network
>must start to be implemented during 4QTR CY91.

>Does anyone have any info on prototype implementations of a network that
>uses both DNSIX and GOSIP?

>--
>Bill Skidmore

Bill...

Unless you're connecting to DODIIS (The DoD Intelligence Information System)
I don't think you need DNSIX...
If you are connecting to DODIIS, then you don't hafta worry about GOSIP, yet
(because DODIIS is TCP-IP)...

Brian

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901                         __
   off: (804)980-7362                              (    )
   home:     973-9440                             {      }
                                                   (    )
   boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil                      ||
   Just say glow......                       _______<  >_______

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (01/21/91)

I do not know the exact insides of DNSIX, but....
If your problem is only TCP/IP and CLNS coexistence, you should have no
problem once the routers you want to buy have implemented both.
Most academic networks in Europe mix X.25 with TCP/IP in some way, so you
should be able to implement that too, if desirable.
If you have applications that have to do both, you might have more fun....
check out how ISODE does it.

                   Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Harald.Alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no
C=no;PRMD=uninett;O=sintef;OU=elab-runit;S=alvestrand;G=harald
+47 7 59 70 94