[comp.protocols.iso] High Cost of OSIng

rusty@WIN1.IMS.ABB.COM ("Rusty Rowell") (01/15/91)

>                                     ... Is the high cost of standards
> impeding efforts to adopt those standards?  Do you know less about OSI
> because you can't readily (cheaply) obtain standards specifications?

Indirectly.  I am frequently annoyed by the fact that I can't get these
documents electronically as the TCP/IP RFC's.  In trying to create an
intelligent design for a network, I would like to see what the OSI
standard will be in the future.  I would like to work toward that
standard.  Cost and the time involved in getting these documents (you
know the paperwork involved in a "Standard Requisition" ;-) ) means that
I am working from hearsay, trade rags and Internet mailing lists.

Rusty.
 Rusty Rowell (rr226)                          Voice:  (203) 285-6513
 ABB Information Management Services        ABB MEMO:   USIMS.IMSRURO
 100 Lamberton Rd (LA01)                ABB VMS/Mail:     WIN1::RUSTY
 Windsor, CT 06095-0500              Internet: rusty@win1.ims.abb.com

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (01/16/91)

AMEN.  I suspect that the high cost of standards is seriously
impacting roll-out.  Smaller (read leading edge) high tech
companies are often unable to afford adequate documentation,
educational institutions ditto...so you don't have the
infrastructure of graduates and hackers familiar with the
standards.

Larger companies buy them, but even there the support personnel,
etc. cannot afford their own copies.

Why does this happen?  I have been told that the standards, in
the US, are "owned" by ANSII...and that THEY set the prices.
Being aware of the VME hassle where Motorola cannot even give
away free copies of the spec anymore w/o paying a copyright, I
can believe it.

How to resolve it?  Attack your congress-critters.  Ask them if
they are willing to GIVE away the US high-tech leadership in the
race to OSI.  Ask about whether they are interested in
perpetuating large lethargic companies or encouraging the
quick-reacting smaller high tech ones IMHO this country so
desperately needs.

NOW off the soap box.

Need HELP
___________
I had an advert that claimed to have all of the 1988 OSI, ANSII,
CCITT, and a couple other data comm standards available for only
$750.00    Unfortunately I lost the darn advert.  Does anyone
know who this was?   (The '84 stds were $400...but admittedly
much less paper...and $750 is MUCH less than most previous
prices....about 1 full zero worth..)

wrl@wdl51.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) (01/16/91)

Last year while I was in the DC area, I stopped by OMNICOM
to pick up some of our Blue Books that had just "Floated In"
(I.E. Slow Boat from Europe). I asked them about the chances
of these standards comming out in PostScript or another
common format (I'd take TROFF if it was available). They said
don't hold your breath for it in the next 5 years or so.

It seems that this has been discussed by the different groups
of Standards Bodies can not agree on what standard to publish
them in. I had gotten a Draft ISO to review and it was in PostScript
but there are no plans (as of last june) to let people FTP or
FTAM the standards.

Things might have changed since last June but since we are still
waioting for the 1988 Blue Books still (some are still not published)
I'm not holding my breath.

--
Bill Lewandowski		LORAL Western Development Labs
(408) 473-4362			Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/17/91)

Prices for Blue Books vary a lot; United Nations Bookshop is a good 20%
cheaper than Omnicom, and gives much better service, IMHO. ISO documents can
be had for free when they are in the Draft stage, *if* you know the right
people at NIST or ANSI. After that, ANSI gives exclusive selling rights to
Omnicom, who charges whatever they think they can get away with. (The docs I
have gotten straight from NIST were of excellent reproduction quality, and
were shipped promptly. From Omnicom the quality is highly variable, and the
service mediocre. They also appear to exhaust their supplies of out-dated
drafts before sending current ones.)

>I had an advert that claimed to have all of the 1988 OSI, ANSI, CCITT, and
>a couple other data comm standards available for only $750.00.

That sounds like the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Datacommunications Standards,
4th Edition. It is a six volume set, and includes many of the most relevant
standards, but is by no means exhaustive. (The Blue Books alone are about four
times the size of the McGraw-Hill set, but have a lot of drek in them that
most datacomm developers don't care about.) We have the 3rd edition, which
contains the '84 standards, and have been very pleased with it; the editors
did a very good job of selecting the most relevant documents.

<csg>

lan_csse@netrix.nac.dec.com (CSSE LAN Test Account) (01/17/91)

In article <9101150148.AA22136@uc.msc.edu> rusty@WIN1.IMS.ABB.COM ("Rusty Rowell") writes:
>>                                     ... Is the high cost of standards
>> impeding efforts to adopt those standards?  Do you know less about OSI
>> because you can't readily (cheaply) obtain standards specifications?
>
>Indirectly.  I am frequently annoyed by the fact that I can't get these
>documents electronically as the TCP/IP RFC's.  ...
>I am working from hearsay, trade rags and Internet mailing lists.

I'll second that.  In addition, I'd like to point out the real value in
being able to use tools like grep on the RFCs; this is impossible with
the OSI documents.  Since they rarely have a very useful index, you sort
of have to just know where to find something, or do a linear search.

One problem I've had recently is that I'm trying to locate all the places
where numeric ASN.1 values are defined.  You know, things like:
	#define INTID       0x02        /* integer */
and	#define IPID        0x40        /* IpAddress */

These are easy to find in our .h files, but I'd like to know where the
authors found them, what other values may be officially defined, etc.
I think I found the above INTID, but I'm still looking for the place
that says that 0x40 is the code for an IP address, as well as just
exactly what bytes may follow this code.  (E.g., is it legal for an
IP address to be, say, 3 or 6 bytes long?  And what's the code that
says that a DECnet address follows?)

It'd be pretty easy to answer such questions if I could run a program
to chew up the documents and spit out interesting portions.  We're now
well into the age of electronic text-processing; when is ISO going to
join the rest of the world?  (At least for networking standards? ;-)

craig@sics.se (Craig Partridge) (01/17/91)

By the way, there's been some thought within SIGCOMM about trying to
list how to get the DP and DS documents (i.e. listing the editors and
their e-mail addresses) in the regular Status of Standards section of
Computer Communication Review.  Would people consider this a useful
service?

Craig Partridge
Editor, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review

fwc@FLUKY.MITRE.ORG (Forrest W. Colliver) (01/22/91)

I would like to echo the sentiment expressed in the enclosed note.  I find
the contrast between the ready availability of the DARPA Internet standards
and the difficulty of requisition of the ISO/ANSI OSI standards to be a
significant impediment to my efforts to advance OSI development in my
community of interest (i.e., civil aviation data networks).  I would
support any mechanism whereby OSI documents were available by anonymous
ftp for widespread dissemination.

Forrest Colliver               (703)883-7271
The MITRE Corporation          'colliver@mitre.org'
McLean, Virginia
>> impeding efforts to adopt those standards?  Do you know less about OSI
>> because you can't readily (cheaply) obtain standards specifications?

> Indirectly.  I am frequently annoyed by the fact that I can't get these
> documents electronically as the TCP/IP RFC's.  In trying to create an
> intelligent design for a network, I would like to see what the OSI
> standard will be in the future.  I would like to work toward that
> standard.  Cost and the time involved in getting these documents (you
> know the paperwork involved in a "Standard Requisition" ;-) ) means that
> I am working from hearsay, trade rags and Internet mailing lists.

------- End of Forwarded Message

Stef@ICS.UCI.EDU (Einar Stefferud) (01/22/91)

I think it is entirely clear at this point how INTERNET folk feel aobut
the high cost of paper only ISO/CCITT/ETC standards, adn the desire to
see a change in the method of publication.

I think that the real question now is more of "What is a way to work out
an alternative that meets what we clearly percieve as a critical need?"

I don't think that continued simple lamenting will get us what we want.

Cheers...\Stef