[comp.protocols.iso] ACSE API?

barns@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (01/31/91)

Are any of the multitudes of standards groups or quasi-standards groups
working on a generic API to ACSE (plus Presentation, so you can actually
do something while you are associated, of course)?  I would appreciate
hearing of any actual, planned, or rumored activities of this kind.
I have never heard of any, but I don't know everything.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Barns / MITRE-Washington / barns@gateway.mitre.org

rick@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (01/31/91)

Early on (3 or 4 years ago) there was a MAP/TOP group
working on defining an API for ACSE/Presentation and
for FTAM and X.400. I believe this activity has been
picked up by another organization, but I don't remember
for sure who, maybe IEEE as part of the POSIX work?

-Rick Wilder

kc@cbnewsl.att.com (keith.coulson) (02/01/91)

In article <9101302049.AA07086@gateway.mitre.org>, barns@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG writes:
> Are any of the multitudes of standards groups or quasi-standards groups
> working on a generic API to ACSE (plus Presentation, so you can actually
> do something while you are associated, of course)?  I would appreciate
> hearing of any actual, planned, or rumored activities of this kind.
> I have never heard of any, but I don't know everything.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bill Barns / MITRE-Washington / barns@gateway.mitre.org

The OSI working group of UNIX International has one called APLI
(ACSE/Presentation Library Interface). This working group is open
to non-UI members. The interface spec has been submitted to X/Open.
The technical manager at UI involved with this is Helene Armitage
(helene@uinj.ui.org).

Keith Coulson
UNIX System Labs
kc@cbnewsl.att.com